Subsonic .308 data?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of friends just bought suppressor for .308, texted me for TrailBoss locations. Can’t find TrailBoss, any of y’all got a favorite subsonic load recipe?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one that is very sub sonic and I would say sub sub sonic bolt action only as it will NOT cycle a semi auto.

Red Dot powder any primer I use CCI 200.
It is not position sensitive.
All my slow cast loads get neck turned as those slow loads are very picky.
664 fps and the load is below in that link.

https://www.okshooters.com/threads/pip-squeak-loads-308.286595/

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also use a slow load in my 30-06 that may be closer to what you need and I bet reduce the charge a bit and get is in a sweet spot.
30-06 gas checked Lee170 gr 11.5 gr. Red Dot powder R-P cases CCI 200 primers.

1475 FPS 22" barrel very accurate. I have shot steel at 500 yards with it.
I did some math and figured around 9 gr in a .308 case may be the ticket.

But I have not tried that because I have the above loads.
If you shoot a jacketed bullet with 11.5 of Red Dot in the same 30-06 you get less accuracy and 100 fps slower.

I actually shot 3 different jacketed bullets with that load and none of them worked well.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't load but I found a cartridge from Beck Ammunition that I like and use with my Ruger Gunsite 308 with a Saker 762 suppressor. It is 208gr. It requires a 1:9 twist to stabilize. That is the twist of the Ruger Gunsite 308

MikePAC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of friends just bought suppressor for .308, texted me for TrailBoss locations. Can’t find TrailBoss, any of y’all got a favorite subsonic load recipe?
I load trailboss 11.5 gr behind 180gr SP interlock and chrono was 1026 fps. Coming out of my Savage 10 fcp-sr, 1:10 twist 24 inch barrel.
tell them to shoot paper plenty before through can. Must stabilize out of their barrel or may ruin can. I run silencerCo.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But did you hit it? 20 plus feet drop @ 500 yds. Please explain shooting steel @ 500 yds.
The story.
Mossberg 100atr with Centerpoint 4-16x40 scope the cast loads did drop a lot.
So much in fact I had to put the scope on 4 power to even see the target after allowing all the hold over.

I did not dial the turrets to compensate for the drop I was using the mil dots and that was still not enough even on 4x.
I had to raise the scope above the steel plate which was 18" or 20" wide and 12" tall.

I kept hitting the ground out in front of the target and kept raising line of sight.
I finally hit it after about 8 or 10 shots at it and figured my hold over.

After the first hit I chambered another round and hit it again, then another was fired and it was a miss and the next one I chambered hit it again.
I felt pretty good about that.
Side wind was not strong that day I would say 3-5 MPH
Man it took forever for that round to get there and not a loud ring like a full power load more of a thud with a little ring to it.

Yes 20+ foot drop.

Latest posts

Top Bottom