Suggest a car GPS unit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to buy 3 more reasonably priced car GPS/ navigation devices. I have a Tomtom in our Excursion, works ok, but the internal battery is shot and the map update prices suck. I/we've never used the turn by turn voice option, so that's not a big concern.

15 yr old daughter will need one in her car this fall, need one in the Porsche because the speedo is way off and need to replace the Tomtom in our Excursion. I'm not brand loyal, but am interested in the "Free map updates for life" feature.

Size? My current one has a 4.5" diag. screen. It's ok for the X, kind of big for the little cars. Functional factory brackets are a must, as well as traffic monitoring.

So, any experience (good or bad), and recommendations are welcome.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know their current models, but I have a Garmin Nuvi (maybe a 255W?) that still works fine after five years or so, other than the battery not holding a charge for more than a few minutes (not a big deal for me, as I normally have it plugged in). Garmin has "lifetime map updates" for $65 on Amazon, and some of their GPS units actually include that in the purchase price--in a quick search, I found a Nuvi 40LM with Lifetime Maps Updates for $94.

All of the pilots I know swear by Garmin, for what that's worth.

WWB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Sooner. I use mine frequently, have had several and prefer Garmin. I am using a Nuvi 40LM and it works great. Make sure it has lifetime maps. Don't forget to hide it when parked or your car will get broken in to steal it.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a fan of TomToms as long as the maps are current. I used my FIL's to go to Dallas once and the map hasn't been updated since he bought it (5 years ago) and there were highways that didn't exist in the GPS. I'm tempted to buy the map upgrade for him so I don't borrow it again and deal with the headache.

SoonerDVM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used TomTom for years and always been extremely happy with it. Recently, I had to replace it fast and ended up with a Garmin. I like them both. The TomTom had features the Garmin didn't, but the Garmin has some features I like too.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with the Garmin Nuvi Line. Mine has been yelling "Recalculating" at me for 4-5 years now. It stays on regardless of its active navigation or not. I use it as a heads up speedometer.

I've recently switched over to using my Galaxy S4 with Google Maps for navigation. If I could get it to display current speed on the screen I might fully retire the Garmin.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Garmin and my Iphone with google maps. I really like the garmin for the fact that it will display the speed limit in the area you are in for you as well as your speed. Helps to know if Im speeding or not in an area I've never been and am not familiar with. I was in sales for a few years and it was worth it's weight in gold to me then.

Latest posts

Top Bottom