Suggestions For A Retirement Gift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
My son is retiring from the Air Force on Aug 1st. His ceremony is early next month. He's not really into fancy stuff. Very outdoorsy. He also does a lot of woodworking, likes to build furniture, etc. He likes guns but not really a collector type and doesn't keep many around. And he lives in Alaska so that complicates things a bit.

He and his wife are maybe going to take some time and just travel around the US after he's done. I think they want to either buy an overland type rig or rent something. Is there something that would really be handy for living on the road for extended periods of time?
We'd get our guys a Randall...you can get one of the standard military models for military guys in two weeks from the shop. Only option with it is Name etching. That's what I got when I retired too.
My dealer I work with also always has some nice ones on hand. I can get his POC info for you if you want.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is retiring from the Air Force on Aug 1st. His ceremony is early next month. He's not really into fancy stuff. Very outdoorsy. He also does a lot of woodworking, likes to build furniture, etc. He likes guns but not really a collector type and doesn't keep many around. And he lives in Alaska so that complicates things a bit.

He and his wife are maybe going to take some time and just travel around the US after he's done. I think they want to either buy an overland type rig or rent something. Is there something that would really be handy for living on the road for extended periods of time?
Where in Alaska are they going to live? Does he have the fishing gear for there? Mesquito spray in the big can, HAHA.

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think they're gonna stay in AK. The DiL is a nurse with the VA so she can work pretty much anywhere. She's from TX and isn't real fond of the AK weather. I just don't think they know where they want to land yet.

It's funny you mention fishing. When my son was very young fishing was all he wanted to do. We lived in the mountains in CO at the time and went camping/fishing often. I don't think he's much into it any more, though. Maybe once retirement settles in he'll get back into it.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A knife he might not buy for himself. Something that looks like art, but you can use it. That or if he's more practical, a Benchmade Bugout.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Just remember folks, Corgi's kid isn't a 65y/o diabetic couch tater in the middle of Oklahoma. He's retiring after doing stuff and deploying with fellas and skadooshing sh*theads and teaching the next generation the ropes after 25ish years.
A leaf blower and a cordless drill or a toolbox are probably not at the tops of a goodass retirement gift from Pops.

Latest posts

Top Bottom