Suggestions for combat pistol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the suggestions for Sigs and Glocks...bah...they are good and all. Get an XDm .45, they are the cats as*. Trust me you wont regret it! :woohoo1:

I prefer my plastic without all the safeties! ;)

I would agree with landman, but thats way out of the price range stated.

So, Im going to go with my go to guns and say glock in .45acp. I carry either a G23 (.40) or a G36 (.45). Not my favorite gun, but there is a reason why they are on my waist almost 24/7.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm confused. Do you want a backup gun to carry...or just a second gun? If you're wanting a BUG, I would stick with the same gun you're used to...i.e. another Glock and/or a drop in barrel. If you're just wanting a second gun take your pick, there are tons out there, although Sig and a nice 1911 are my favorite .45s.

Reaction score
There's a WHOLE lot to be said for:

--NOT changing calibers on the 2nd gun, and
--NOT changing manual of arms (and ergos) on the 2nd gun (SAO, DAO, DA/SA, etc.)

So you're definitely going against the grain here, but nothing that cannot be overcome with a sufficient amount of training, if you have the time & inclination. I mention all this because you use the word "combat", which implies a very serious, high-risk self-defense use (LEO or Security duty?). I'm all for variety, but when it comes to real-world, metal-meets-the-meat self-defense, you're better off always grabbin and using the ONE gun that you've trained on the most and know is extremely reliable for you (intentionally trained on the most by far), and stick with THAT gun, in that caliber, with that manual of arms & familiar ergos. For me, this is a CZ85 in 9x19 (though I don't train enough myself).

I guess my point is, nothing wrong with any of the calibers, or any of the make & models/manual of arms choices (although a lot of 'pros' badmouth crunchentickers, arguably for good reason), but my suggestion is that *IF* you do change caliber or manual of arms, especially manual of arms on the new gun, then ONE of them and only one of them (either the new or old), should be your the 'combat' pistol, and the other one more or less for fun only. Unless you train an awful, awful lot. Sorry; may be telling you something you already know...or maybe not.

But sure, experiment with whatever appeals to you. I have both 9s and .45s (I eliminated .40 cal and a few other semi-auto chamberings a few years back) - and also one micro .380. I would suggest looking at a CZ, BHP, 1911, or Sig Classic in a metal gun. There are also many fine options out there if you want to stick with a polymer gun.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There's a WHOLE lot to be said for:

--NOT changing calibers on the 2nd gun, and
--NOT changing manual of arms (and ergos) on the 2nd gun (SAO, DAO, DA/SA, etc.)

So you're definitely going against the grain here, but nothing that cannot be overcome with a sufficient amount of training, if you have the time & inclination. I mention all this because you use the word "combat", which implies a very serious, high-risk self-defense use (LEO or Security duty?). I'm all for variety, but when it comes to real-world, metal-meets-the-meat self-defense, you're better off always grabbin and using the ONE gun that you've trained on the most (intentionally trained on the most by far), and stick with THAT gun, in that caliber, with that manual of arms & familiar ergos.

I guess my point is, nothing wrong with any of the calibers, or any of the make & models/manual of arms choices (although a lot of 'pros' badmouth crunchentickers, arguably for good reason), but my suggestion is that *IF* you do change caliber or manual of arms, especially manual of arms on the new gun, then ONE of them and only one of them (either the new or old), should be your the 'combat' pistol, and the other one more or less for fun only. Unless you train an awful, awful lot. Sorry; may be telling you something you already know...or maybe not.

THIS/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Regardless of my primary, I always back it up with a DAO revolver, my SW 640ND. Very simple to operate, nothing much to think about when drawn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom