Suggestions for rimfire mods and rifle for steel challenge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. see if that burris mini dot will work with your rear sight dovetail. they have adapters, Id bet.

2. dedicated 22lr upper. I actually have one Ive been thinking of selling. if you have a AR lower youre all good.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For 22 rimfire steel challenge I have a S&W 15-22 and it works well. Holds 25 rounds, accurate enough and comes with a threaded barrel.

Bought mine second hand and it has the "old" style quad rail hand guard. As far as where to get it, a ton of places have them including Cabela's which will run about 370 right now. Can also get a dedicated upper but by the time you get it and mags it's pretty close to the same cost IMHO not to mention finding one in stock. The 15-22 takes the same parts and the one that is highly recommended is the anti rotation pins. Beyond that your choice and bank account is the limit.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
M&P 15-22 out of the box is a great steel challenge gun, light weight and flat out runs. Ruger 10/22 variants are probably the most popular for steel challenge because they are so easy to upgrade and so many aftermarket parts for them.

Sadly quality control on new 10/22's has declined in my experience with them. My grandson's new 10/22 purchased in 2016 wouldn't even run 10 rounds without jamming. Tried multiple mags, rotary and 25 rounders, just wouldn't run. The new black receivers are painted and there were paint runs on the inside, man it was ugly in there. Pulling the bolt back was like is was being pulled over gravel, not smooth at all. YMMV.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
M&P 15-22 out of the box is a great steel challenge gun, light weight and flat out runs. Ruger 10/22 variants are probably the most popular for steel challenge because they are so easy to upgrade and so many aftermarket parts for them.

Sadly quality control on new 10/22's has declined in my experience with them. My grandson's new 10/22 purchased in 2016 wouldn't even run 10 rounds without jamming. Tried multiple mags, rotary and 25 rounders, just wouldn't run. The new black receivers are painted and there were paint runs on the inside, man it was ugly in there. Pulling the bolt back was like is was being pulled over gravel, not smooth at all. YMMV.

Sounds like a good thing that I got the older version then. I still have to pick up the non rotating hammer and trigger pins but mine has functioned nearly flawlessly the whole time I have owned it. Has ate everything I can throw at it as well. The previous owner said it didn't do well on bulk ammo but once I got it home and cleaned it/lubed the crud out of it there have been zero issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom