Super Cheap Vortex Sparc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking for a 2MOA red dot sight, and don't want to put down as much as an Aimpont or Eotech costs.

So, the Vortex Sparc may be a good option. Most retailers sell it for $150-$200

However, here they are just $60:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...unting-Free-Shipping-CL2-0053/1150248587.html

I am assuming that these are coming from the same Chinese factory as the actual vortex product, but just doesn't say "vortex" on it.

I know these Chinese retailers also have knock-offs of costly sights too (Eotech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc), but if this works and really is 2 MOA, I'd be happy to save the $100. The knock-offs of Eotechs don't have real holographs, and so aren't really the same technology. But I'm guessing this is just a diode generated red-dot, so "vortex" or not, it will work the same.

Opinions (beyond the obvious caveat emptor)?

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may "work the same" initially but these knockoffs aren't made to last, they are made to last long enough to sell. This is where the "pay once cry once....." saying was born.

In other words.... look for a quality optic that costs less instead off a cheap optic that costs less.

The Vortex Strikefire is a great option, we have two or three and they are affordable and very good quality.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're not in a hurry watch Palmetto State Armory for sales on the Strikefire and Sparc. I can vouch for the Strikefire as I've had one for nearly five years with a lot of rounds fired under it. I have no complaints. I also have a Sparc that I recently mounted atop my Scout Squad, but i expect the same reliability.

Palmetto currently has a couple of bundles with the Strikefire and a lower where you're basically getting the lower for free. If you insist on the lower price point, I'd just buy a Primary Arms so you know you're at least getting a budget optic of known quality. Your find above is probably going too be to hit or miss to recommend.

Last edited:

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK. I placed an order. For $11 (incl. shipping), I think it is worth the risk. My wife thinks they'll just cancel the order however.
If it does arrive and works, I'll let you guys know.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm awful curious to see what arrives in the mail. Their shipping rules say if you return it's on your dime and to China that's an even bigger loss. I got a bad feeling on this one, if you look at the picture of their "Vortex" it's missing all the markings that say "Vortex" or their logo, it's definitely a scam.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ali Express is notorious for fakes and knock-offs with way reduced quality/materials (several knock-off knives produced with markings of specific steels were proven to not be anywhere close to the steel listed).

They are also notorious for stolen intellectual property and actually marking products with manufacturer's markings (and also their crappy knock-offs end up in the secondary market on places like ebay, craigs list, arms list, and message boards like this one as advertised to be the real thing).

I realize that companies like Primary Arms and Vortex use Chinese manufacturers, but they're holding them to a specific level of QC, providing great customer service should you have an issue, and they're not stealing anybody's design. I would definitely not assume that these fakes are made in the same factory as the real ones (and even so, I wouldn't expect any level of QC, CS, or even basic functionality).

I appreciate value, but I'll never understand these two things about the folks who don't mind buying stolen-IPO-branded knock-offs for their ARs:

1. Why condone/reward these shadier Chinese businesses with ripping off a legitimate AR-accessory/optic when so many legit manufacturers are producing decent-quality optics/accessories for probably cheaper than ever before in the history of AR-15 goodies (Primary Arms is just a hair above the first link posted)?

2. Why spend all of the money on an AR-15 to only end up risking/wasting money on an optic that will likely not function correctly and have zero support from the vendor/manufacturer in the likely event that something goes wrong?

Saving money off of the cost up-front doesn't mean anything if you just wasted your money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom