SW M&P22 or M&P compact 22

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is one better than the other? Looking to get one for my daughter for her 11th birthday. Any other suggestions? She'll use this for plinking, maybe some rimfire challenges etc. Thanks guys.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say, of the two, get the M&P Compact.

The full size is not designed or made by S&W,,,
The Compact is designed and made by S&W.

Every review I have read says the Compact is a much better performing pistol,,,
Apparently it was designed to cycle with standard velocity ammo.

I have fired both and was not impressed with the full size,,,
I did like the way the Compact performed.

Now having said that,,,
I don't like the internal hammer single-action.

It's just like all of the target style 22 pistols (Ruger Mark, Buckmark, 22/45, S&W 22A, NEOS),,,
Once you chamber a round there is no way to de-cock the gun or lower the hammer,,,
You rely completely on the manual safety.

If this is a not a concern I say get the M&P Compact.

If that is a concern for you,,,
Look at the Ruger SR-22.

It's the same physical size as the M&P Compact,,,
But has an external hammer and a decocker.

Aarond

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's just like all of the target style 22 pistols (Ruger Mark, Buckmark, 22/45, S&W 22A, NEOS),,,
Once you chamber a round there is no way to de-cock the gun or lower the hammer,,,
You rely completely on the manual safety.

If this is a not a concern I say get the M&P Compact.

If that is a concern for you,,,
Look at the Ruger SR-22.

It's the same physical size as the M&P Compact,,,
But has an external hammer and a decocker.

Aarond

+1... I too like the M&P22Compact, but the SR22 is a fantastic little shooter. My favorite of my 22 pistols.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We love our little SR22 as well. Only thing I wish I would have done is buy it with the threaded barrel. Later on it would have been so much easier to add a suppressor, to get a replacement barrel that IS threaded will be nearly half the cost of the pistol. And who couldn't use an extra inch anyway?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Compact. 100% reliable with any ammo. (Okay; so it's really just about 99%; mine doesn't like Winchester bulk pack - had some FTF, light strikes, FTE...) But it's an awesome little pistol and shoots everything else I have fed it.

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the fact the compact is made by S&W, vs Walther or Umarex. I have looked at the SR22 as well, and get a pretty good discount on it, but it looks and functions way to much like the Walther. Is it made by Walther or Ruger? Biggest complaint I saw, other than it just being ugly, was the trigger. Is it as bad as I have read? Smooth up over time?

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have the M&P 22 Compact and think it is a great training gun. In fact, I sold my SR-22 to fund the M&P. I wanted fit/form/function in a cheaper training weapon and the M&P 22 comes closest to my need. So far, it has been very reliable with a variety of ammo. In fairness, the SR22 was very nice, it just didn't match my carry weapon well enough for my desire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom