SWC vs. RNFP while reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I want to use a Hodgdon load recipe for .38 Special cowboy loads that calls for 2.7 to 4.2 grains of Trail Boss, with velocities of 661 to 804 fps and a 158 grain lead bullet. The problem is, the recipe lists semi wad cutter bullets, but I have round nose flat point bullets of that weight which seem to be the way to go with reliable feeding in my Marlin 1894.

Does it make a difference what shape the bullet's nose is in this reloading scenario?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong using one or the other with the recipe as long as you make the proper adjustment to the seating die and seat both at the same depth, you oal will be different on some as a rn will usually be longer than the semi wadcutter.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't imagine you'd have any issues at those pressures in a modern gun. What I do is take some measurements of loaded dummy rounds at the OAL of each. Then measure the length of the bullets themselves and calculate the amount of difference of actual bullet depth inside the case (hope that made sense) to make a guesstimate of how much to tweak the powder charge (always working up). In that instance I doubt it's much different. But I doubt that cowboy action loads are ever going to stress a modern revolver anyway unless a screwup in loading happens.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, folks. In this case, I'll be loading at about 2.8 grains to allow a bit of a cushion above minimum, and if it shoots more or less to point of aim at ten yards, I'll call it good. No need to go any higher than necessary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom