Swimming...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made a thread a couple weeks ago in the General Forum about going swimming in some remote swimming holes...

After coming across some critters, some aggressive, some not, I've been wanting to carry something with me while out in the woods and water, just in case...

I've got a Glock that I think would be capable of the job, but is there anything I should worry about? Or might there be a better choice?

Obviously, anything will have to be cleaned and lubed afterward to get rid of water...

I just wanted to gather some opinions about submerging something, and maybe getting some mud and junk in it...I'm sure we've all seen some of the Glock tests...

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always carried my Glock 22 when I went noodling. I had an Uncle Mike's shoulder rig that I carried it in, it never rusted and I shot it quite a bit while standing in chest deep water after it had been submerged for long periods of time. I even emptied a mag out of it while it was submerged about 2ft,:ooh2: ran without a hiccup...so much for 40's KB'ing without reason.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always carried my Glock 22 when I went noodling. I had an Uncle Mike's shoulder rig that I carried it in, it never rusted and I shot it quite a bit while standing in chest deep water after it had been submerged for long periods of time. I even emptied a mag out of it while it was submerged about 2ft,:ooh2: ran without a hiccup...so much for 40's KB'ing without reason.

If you didn't have maritime firing pin cups in it (and it it wasn't a 9mm), you might have done some damage to the gun (that may not have presented itself yet).

I absolutely would not fire a Glock underwater unless you have read up on doing it and have installed maritime firing pin cups (and per Glock, the only guns approved to be shot underwater are the 9mm models).

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059335

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you didn't have maritime firing pin cups in it (and it it wasn't a 9mm), you might have done some damage to the gun (that may not have presented itself yet).

I absolutely would not fire a Glock underwater unless you have read up on doing it and have installed maritime firing pin cups (and per Glock, the only guns approved to be shot underwater are the 9mm models).

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1059335

I only put about 2k through it after that before trading it off.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only put about 2k through it after that before trading it off.

Oh, well its someone else's problem now so no biggie :)

In all seriousness I'm just posting that because there are a lot of people who have kabooms by doing it improperly - I've read that you can shoot 9mm glocks under water without the Maritime FP Cups, but that you have to be extra careful about a few things when doing it.

Yours is the first non-9mm Glock I've ever heard of being shot under water with no issues. Did you have the maritime FP cups in yours?

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, well its someone else's problem now so no biggie :)

In all seriousness I'm just posting that because there are a lot of people who have kabooms by doing it improperly - I've read that you can shoot 9mm glocks under water without the Maritime FP Cups, but that you have to be extra careful about a few things when doing it.

Yours is the first non-9mm Glock I've ever heard of being shot under water with no issues. Did you have the maritime FP cups in yours?

Nope, that gun ran flawless not one FTF/FTE the whole time I owned it, even the mag that cycled underwater. Would I do it again? Not with a 40 and not with maritime cups 9mm or 45 sure but I feel I tempted fate. I think most internet hype is just that, people reposting other peoples theories without testing, although it is better to be overly cautious when dealing with pressures at which modern firearms operate. If I start noodling on a regular basis again I will pick up a 26 and go to town, but as of right now I carry a Taurus 605 and you couldn't pay me to shoot it underwater. I do carry it while floating the river though, it doesn't rust and has plenty-o-boom for anything I will encounter in OK.

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the Glock I've thought about using is a 19...I hadnt planned on shooting it underwater, but ya never know...

Sounds like thats my choice...Although I'm gonna look into those maritime cups...

Latest posts

Top Bottom