Swirl Painting my stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Shoot, nothing that cannot be undone. Do it!! Post pics at the various stages if you would, kinda like a tutorial. Maybe some of us might try it as well then. Next thing ya know all the rifles in OK will be swirled and people from all over will come here to see our rifles.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shoot, nothing that cannot be undone. Do it!! Post pics at the various stages if you would, kinda like a tutorial. Maybe some of us might try it as well then. Next thing ya know all the rifles in OK will be swirled and people from all over will come here to see our rifles.
I'm picking up some stuff this weekend to try it on a few things. Will do it with and without primer and use oil based paint and possibly acrylic. Water at 77 degrees using a teaspoon of Borax per each gallon of water (keeps the oil on the surface)

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck!

IMG_1886.jpg

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did one with an old net laundry bag and some krylon camo in forest green, brown, and flat black. Put a couple coats of satin clear coat over it. Looked like snakeskin; it came out great! Wish I hadn't sold the dang thing...
It was a CZ-75 compact, wasn't it? I remember that one....

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting eager to try this. Going to do a test Saturday. Trying to figure out the paint to use. Several suggestions in oil base. Not going to do the spray paint dip but may try it as a test as well. Going to be a two day test period. Going to pick up either a oblong plastic container that can accommodate the stock and be able to move it during the dip. Need at least a couple of feet on long side and a foot or so on each side. I figure I'll waste a lot of paint and time on the test(s) starting with one with and without primer. Will also be doing a couple of clear coats to test that process as well.
It will be fun but will need to be able to keep water at or near 77 degrees at dipping. Think I have the mixture of borax at a 1 and 1/2 tsp. per gallon right now. I think that will enough to keep the paint from sinking to the bottom.