Talk to your kids and give them a huge hug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looked back at this and at my response. I decided based on this post to spend the day with my son on that day, and we did have a great day, we had a great time, spent father/son time shopping the gunshow, bought him some new throwing knives (which he's played with once, lol) and we had lunch together on the way home. It was really a cool day.

I need to do that again. We need more cool father/son days.

I'm currently planning a men's group get-together out in the woods at a friend's cabin up by Colcord for my son's 16th birthday in 6 weeks or so. We're going to surround him with grown men, love on him, encourage him and pass on wisdom to him. We did something similar, a coming-to-manhood ceremony for his 13th birthday, and it was incredible. It was based on Raising A Modern Day Knight, for those of you who are familiar with that book.

Thanks again to @killerpigeon for posting this. Sometimes it's hard to see we can and do make a difference.

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looked back at this and at my response. I decided based on this post to spend the day with my son on that day, and we did have a great day, we had a great time, spent father/son time shopping the gunshow, bought him some new throwing knives (which he's played with once, lol) and we had lunch together on the way home. It was really a cool day.

I need to do that again. We need more cool father/son days.

I'm currently planning a men's group get-together out in the woods at a friend's cabin up by Colcord for my son's 16th birthday in 6 weeks or so. We're going to surround him with grown men, love on him, encourage him and pass on wisdom to him. We did something similar, a coming-to-manhood ceremony for his 13th birthday, and it was incredible. It was based on Raising A Modern Day Knight, for those of you who are familiar with that book.

Thanks again to @killerpigeon for posting this. Sometimes it's hard to see we can and do make a difference.
Glad to hear. There isn't a day that doesn't go by that my wife and I don't miss our son who died at 19, he would have turned 32 back in May.
Take every moment you can, please... God bless.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My daughter was sitting at a train crossing on the highway the other afternoon in pouring rain. Train cleared and she was accelerating, when about 35mph she hydroplained and dropped the right tire off the highway. Pretty steep embankment down into about 3' of water. The embankment was soft so it grabbed her Jeep hard and down she went. I know you can't prepare your kids for everything but this is one thing we/she practiced I don't know how many times. What to do when, not if, you drop a tire off or have to leave the roadway. We're extremely rural, highways are pretty much empty most of the time. After got her license we/she must have practiced dropping a tire off hundreds of times at various medium to slow speeds so she could get the feel of it and not panic and over correct. A jeep on 35" tires and 3.5" lift has a low tolerance for over correcting lol. She did good, road it out into the bottom and made a big splash. Guy that was behind her stopped to check on her. He said "I don't have strap or chain long enough to pull you out". Her reply, "I think I can drive out, if not I'll call my dad." She put it in 4x4 low, steered around the pole and up the ditch to where the embankment wasn't so steep and on to work. Thankful it was wasn't worse and that she'd practiced that as much as she did.
20210629_203419.jpg
20210629_203438.jpg
20210629_203517.jpg

Last edited:

Lee Beaittie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter was sitting at a train crossing on the highway the other afternoon in pouring rain. Train cleared and she was accelerating, when about 35mph she hydroplained and dropped the right tire off the highway. Pretty steep embankment down into about 3' of water. The embankment was soft so it grabbed her Jeep hard and down she went. I know you can't prepare your kids for everything but this is one thing we/she practiced I don't know how many times. What to do when, not if, you drop a tire off or have to leave the roadway. We're extremely rural, highways are pretty much empty most of the time. After got her license we/she must have practiced dropping a tire off hundreds of times at various medium to slow speeds so she could get the feel of it and not panic and over correct. A jeep on 35" tires and 3.5" lift has a low tolerance for over correcting lol. She did good, road it out into the bottom and made a big splash. Guy that was behind her stopped to check on her. He said "I don't have strap or chain long enough to pull you out". Her reply, "I think I can drive out, if not I'll call my dad." She put it in 4x4 low, steered around the pole and up the ditch to where the embankment wasn't so steep and on to work. Thankful it was wasn't worse and that she'd practiced that as much as she did.View attachment 211920View attachment 211921View attachment 211922
Amen!

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why I drive 200 miles nearly every weekend. And why it's taking me several years to complete a remodel that should have only taken 1 year if I was doing it on the weekends. Time with my kids is more important than anything else.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man that is terrible. I have a 15 year old son who turns 16 next month. He struggles with depression and other things. I worry about him all the time. My biggest fear is him killing him self. If some of y’all remember a thread I made about him about a year ago you know one of the issues he is really struggling hard with. I’m trying to always be there for him and I tell him how much he means to me every single day. He always tells me he loves me and my wife before we go to bed. I’m a Christian and try and raise him to be one but he is really rejecting it right now. It’s a huge struggle for me. I just want him to be happy and eventually go to Heaven. So i try and do the right thing as a Christian dad while at the same time but being to pushy. Im not the greatest at it. I can’t imagine how horrible the pain has to be to lose a child and I pray to God every single day that I never have to find out. With my struggles and depression Im sure I would fall apart.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't force it on him, Fred, I know you know that. Just being a good, Christian example, loving and accepting him are all you can do. Encourage him. But you also have to stand up for your own faith and beliefs. I will continue to keep him and you in my prayers, I have another good friend going through the same issue with his college-age daughter and it is a really hard thing on him. He is struggling immensely.

Latest posts

Top Bottom