Tasco Rifle Scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Looking for a little help. This scope is on a rifle that I recently purchased. It's a Tasco 8-40 X 56. From what I've been able to find, it's a model CU840X56M (this doesn't appear anywhere on the scope) from the Tasco 'custom shop'. I didn't receive any papers with it and would very much like to find an instruction manual for it. I've looked on the Tasco website through their online manuals, but found nothing. Apparently, it was made in the mid-late 90's. I haven't been able to locate anything at all. If anyone has one, I would love to get a copy.

Attachments

• IMG_20230114_084052780.jpg
    IMG_20230114_084052780.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230114_084115383.jpg
    IMG_20230114_084115383.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221202_182111053.jpg
    IMG_20221202_182111053.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221202_182151138.jpg
    IMG_20221202_182151138.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221202_182040638.jpg
    IMG_20221202_182040638.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the end of the scope closest to the muzzle that is your Parallax setting NOT FOCUS.
Usually you set it on 100 for 100 yard shooting to be Parallax free.

I have found the markings are not always on the money.
Under that rear flip up cap that is probably not original should be your focus ring.
Unless the entire rear bell turns for focus but it does not look like it.

If you are on a steady rest where the gun is not moving and you look at the target 100 yards away on a power setting above 10 and move your eye position slightly left and right watch for the cross hairs to move off the spot on the target.
If the cross hairs move off target then adjust the Parallax until they stay put right on the money.

That is all i know and you may have known all that already.

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the end of the scope closest to the muzzle that is your Parallax setting NOT FOCUS.
Usually you set it on 100 for 100 yard shooting to be Parallax free.

I have found the markings are not always on the money.
Under that rear flip up cap that is probably not original should be your focus ring.
Unless the entire rear bell turns for focus but it does not look like it.

If you are on a steady rest where the gun is not moving and you look at the target 100 yards away on a power setting above 10 and move your eye position slightly left and right watch for the cross hairs to move off the spot on the target.
If the cross hairs move off target then adjust the Parallax until they stay put right on the money.

That is all i know and you may have known all that already.
Yesterday was the first time I'd had a chance to play with it. I was adjusting the parallax and was able to clear things up, but I'd sure like to find an instruction manual. There's a tiny knob on the left side of the elevation/windage section that I have no idea it's purpose.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That knop / plug is where the scope was filled with a gas to stop fagging on the inside of the scope. Its a cheap way to make a hole. ARKEN and Burris optics has the same plug. Im not saying you have a cheap optic. For it time probably was a nice optic. If you really want the scope manual call up the manufacture and ask for it.

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That knop / plug is where the scope was filled with a gas to stop fagging on the inside of the scope. Its a cheap way to make a hole. ARKEN and Burris optics has the same plug. Im not saying you have a cheap optic. For it time probably was a nice optic. If you really want the scope manual call up the manufacture and ask for it.
I know Tasco is by no means a top-of-the-line scope, it's just what was on the gun when I bought it. Honestly, it's more scope than I like. I would probably be happy with a 4-16 or 4-20 power. The rifle is a Savage 112 in 300 Win Mag, but I really don't have any plans to shoot 1000 yards.

Not really a big deal, I may decide to replace the scope anyway.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know Tasco is by no means a top-of-the-line scope, it's just what was on the gun when I bought it. Honestly, it's more scope than I like. I would probably be happy with a 4-16 or 4-20 power. The rifle is a Savage 112 in 300 Win Mag, but I really don't have any plans to shoot 1000 yards.

Not really a big deal, I may decide to replace the scope anyway.
I will say for the price Vortex is the way to go. that is if you do change the optic out. that would be my option

OlBrownTruck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say for the price Vortex is the way to go. that is if you do change the optic out. that would be my option
I've actually been looking at a Vortex Crossfire II Hog Hunter, but was a little concerned whether it would handle the recoil of a 300 Win Mag. I actually shook the guts loose in a Bushnell on my 30-06.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I member reading on their site that vortex scopes are rated to 50 BMG. plus vortex has the forever warranty. you brake it they fix it.

rustyaa55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be a fun/interesting scope to experiment with. Like others have said, call TASCO CUSTOMER SERVICE with your request. BTW - VORTEX is in an entirely different league from Bushnell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom