Taters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Planted taters for the first time last year and they did pretty well. Whats the earliest and latest you have planted taters? Think I'm going to try a few rows at the end of February, end of March, end of April, then the end of May.

We have a local food bank most of these will go to, so I want to spread them out a little.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really depends on the soil when we planted in black land we planted the 14th of Feb but once we moved to sandy soil around the middle of March the latest was the end of march never any later unless we was planting a fall crop. I always hated that time of year cause we would end up eating potatoes for every meal cause dad always bought a 100# sack of seed potatoes and after cutting the eyes out had to eat the rest before they spoiled.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plant a good crop of potatoes every year. It's actually my favorite crop as the store bought potatoes can not compare to the home grown. I am able to dig ( around July 4 ) and store in my cellar our potatoes good up til Christmas. The Yukon Gold seem to store the longest and the red Pontiacs tend to sprout and become less edible first. as for planting soil temperature is the key. Visit the Oklahoma Mesonet to see what the soil temps are in your area. Once the temps are consistently at 50 and above it's time to plant.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's another little 'trick' I've learned with the taters. Once planted in the very early spring the leaves will take a couple of weeks to emerge but you can count on late frosts to burn them back ( they will survive but set back). I dig a foot deep furrow with the soil mounded up on either side. Put the seed potato in the bottom and cover with 3-4" soil. Once the leaves start to emmerge....if an overnight frost is forecast I will drag down a bit of the dirt with a rake to lightly cover the leaves....protecting them from the frost. This can be done severfal times thru the weeks if need be. Then as they grow continue dragging dirt up to the plant until you actually have a mound that the potatoes are forming in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom