TC Contenders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemihur

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The avant-garde design employed on that 308 Bellm setup was actually a tribute to the passing of Lee Jurras, a groundbreaker with early contender designs. He ran in the right circles of J.D. Jones and the like and was instrumental in the 'Howdah' contender. He founded Super Vel ammunition. I agree with his ideas. I enjoy working with wood and building the little break-actions to suit my shooting needs. Here's a couple of my favorites:
a couple of Aces.jpg

Coincidentally, these happen to be the only SSK barrels I own.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The avant-garde design employed on that 308 Bellm setup was actually a tribute to the passing of Lee Jurras, a groundbreaker with early contender designs. He ran in the right circles of J.D. Jones and the like and was instrumental in the 'Howdah' contender. He founded Super Vel ammunition. I agree with his ideas. I enjoy working with wood and building the little break-actions to suit my shooting needs. Here's a couple of my favorites:
View attachment 455967
Coincidentally, these happen to be the only SSK barrels I own.
A .444 marlin encore was the sole reason I began carrying a piece of carpet around to put on the bench when shooting. Without it, I would pretty consistently lose skin off my elbows lol.

Hack

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a vast collection. Now I'm down to two. One is a 10" bull barrel 30 Herrett with a Leupold scope. I've killed Javelina and deer with it. Only other gun is a 14" 22 Hornet with the same scope. Both have their own frame. I'm a firm believer that a single shot will make you a good shot.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No Contenders, but ive got a gaggle of Encore stuff --- the configuration i am happiest with is the .308 field/target rifle --- its got a heavy contour barrel, but i wouldnt call it a bull barrel at all, - but recoil is very low. Something i cant say for the 18" 45/70 barrel (stainless stubby one in the group pic- it bites at both ends) Optic is a simple but effective Redfield 6-12x40

wfQc2INl.jpg

7WRZyIzl.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom