Tell me about .260 remington

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saturday I picked up a remington model seven in .260 remington as this years deer rifle. I know hardly anything about the round. I think i've read that its a fairly decent long range round but i could be wrong. So any info would be appreciated

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 260 Rem and was a tack driver. Crazy long distance rifle (AR config by DPMS). My only reservation was at fairly close range (70ish yards), I shot a deer with cheap Rem Cor-Lok'd and it seemed to me that the bullet didn't perform "properly"....small entrance (to be expected), but very small exit...maybe high velocity, close range, and cheaper ammo = no time to dump energy/deform or whatever. Blood trailing was very difficult. I really liked the rifle, but I'm not hunting super long distances...maybe with a better quality ammo my results would've been diff. And, to be fair, i only shot one deer w it before I sold it. Don't know if this helps...but just my experience

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Possibly one of the best all around cartridges - medium game at any range, varmint, 1000 yard competition - you name it, it will do it superbly. Basically it's almost perfect rifle cartridge.

The only complaint you'll ever hear is brass migration.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger 77 in 6.5 Rem Mag - pretty close to the .260, but a little faster. I gathered quite a bit of factory ammo when I got my rifle in 1994 because it had just been discontinued by Remington. Very accurate round and rifle, but the factory 120 grain Cor-Lokt bullet has a jacket that is too thin for deer hunting at that velocity. Bullet would blow up and I would get either no exit wound or an 8" exit wound. I went to a 125 grain Nosler Partition bullet over IMR 4831 and resolved that issue.

If I didn't have a deer rifle and was going to buy a new one it would be hard to pass on the .260. I had a 7mm/08 back when they came out in the late 70's and my thoughts then were that they needed to neck the .308 down to .257 caliber, but .264 would be close enough. Only down side I can see with the .260 is availability of ammo, but if you reload and gather some cases that won't be a problem.

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom