Thank you, SCOTUS!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbstern

Marksman
Reaction score
A smackdown of the Massachusetts courts (and legislature) for convicting a woman for carrying a stun gun for self-defense.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-10078_aplc.pdf

IMHO, this is profound, for several reasons.

1) Reinforces that 2nd Amendment protected arms are not limited to what the founders might have been able to imagine.

2) Ditto, that 2nd Amendment protected arms are not limited to only those useful to militia purposes.

3) This was a unanimous decision. The Supreme Court tends to be loyal to its own decisions over modest (multi-decade) timeframes, regardless of court balance, politics or current events. No dissent from liberals on this. It helped that this was about non-lethal self defense and the aggrieved was a woman and a victim of domestic violence. Regardless of why, this decision, layered on top of Heller, goes a long way to protecting our 2nd Amendment rights.

If you read the final two paragraphs of the decision, it's a giant "F.U." to the Massachusetts courts:

A State’s most basic responsibility is to keep its people safe. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts was either unable or unwilling to do what was necessary to protect Jaime Caetano, so she was forced to protect herself. To make matters worse, the Commonwealth chose to deploy its prosecutorial resources to prosecute and convict her of a criminal offense for arming herself with a nonlethal weapon that may well have saved her life. The Supreme Judicial Court then affirmed her conviction on the flimsiest of grounds. This Court’s grudging per curiam now sends the case back to that same court. And the consequences for Caetano may prove more tragic still, as her conviction likely bars her from ever bearing arms for self-defense. See Pet. for Cert. 14.

If the fundamental right of self-defense does not protect Caetano, then the safety of all Americans is left to the mercy of state authorities who may be more concerned about disarming the people than about keeping them safe.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
:clap3::clap3:

Since she is a convicted felon, and the SCOTUS acknowledges that she can no longer carry a weapon for defense, I wonder if sending it back to the same court that convicted her, can reverse their decision, or must there be a new trial?

rbstern

Marksman
Reaction score
Since she is a convicted felon, and the SCOTUS acknowledges that she can no longer carry a weapon for defense, I wonder if sending it back to the same court that convicted her, can reverse their decision, or must there be a new trial?

It seems that the MA law against stun guns is effectively nullified by this ruling. I assume the plaintiff will ask the Massachusetts court to overturn the conviction on that basis. Pretty sure they'll have to, since SCOTUS basically told them their heads were up their arses when they upheld the conviction. The SCOTUS decision includes a grant of in forma pauperis, which means the plaintiff (the defendant in the original case) doesn't have to bear the costs of appeal.

In a nutshell, SCOTUS is saying to the MA court: "This decision was so poorly reasoned and out of step with what we just recently ruled in Heller, if you don't fix this, we will."

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hopefully things get settled so the supreme court keeps ruling in favor of the constitution and more wins come down. It is one court where conservatism should be the way things go more often than not.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is great. I just hope she is able to get the conviction overturned. If not that would be a travesty. Did the NRA step in to help her with her defense? If not they should have. I wish the Supreme Court would have told them they had to overturn her conviction. I don't know if they can do that though. Yet another reason I am so glad I am born and raised here. Wouldn't live anywhere else.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Invalidating the law under which she was convicted is saying that the law under which she was convicted was null and void. Hence any conviction under that law is null and void as well. That's how I understand it anyway.

Lawyers, am I all wet here?

rbstern

Marksman
Reaction score
Invalidating the law under which she was convicted is saying that the law under which she was convicted was null and void. Hence any conviction under that law is null and void as well. That's how I understand it anyway.

Lawyers, am I all wet here?

I'm no lawyer, but...

Technically, all SCOTUS did was vacate the MA supreme court's decision to uphold the trial court's conviction, saying the logic given in the appeal violated the appellant's 2nd Amendment rights. They sent the case back to the MA supreme court for reconsideration. I'm going to follow the case. I'm interested to see how state supreme court justices react when SCOTUS tells them their decision indicates they have reading comprehension problems. The SCOTUS opinion is pretty harsh. That must be an embarrassment to the MA court.

Not sure exactly how that translates into striking down the MA law, but I can't imagine MA prosecutors being too keen on pressing charges for the same law, given the decision.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no lawyer, but...

Technically, all SCOTUS did was vacate the MA supreme court's decision to uphold the trial court's conviction, saying the logic given in the appeal violated the appellant's 2nd Amendment rights. They sent the case back to the MA supreme court for reconsideration. I'm going to follow the case. I'm interested to see how state supreme court justices react when SCOTUS tells them their decision indicates they have reading comprehension problems. The SCOTUS opinion is pretty harsh. That must be an embarrassment to the MA court.

Not sure exactly how that translates into striking down the MA law, but I can't imagine MA prosecutors being too keen on pressing charges for the same law, given the decision.

The judgment of the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts is vacated, and the case is remanded for further proceedings not inconsistent with this opinion.

Certainly sounds like a "go back, try again, and un-f*ck yourselves" to me. I don't see how they could do anything but reverse course and invalidate the law but DC doubled down and drug their feet after Heller and Pamler so who knows what will happen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom