The anti-gun platform will be the nail in the democrats coffin.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're STILL backwards on the gun issue. As long as they are, I will not vote for a democrat.

From Emily Miller at the Washington Times:

You didn’t hear the word “guns” voluntarily pass the lips of any Democratic speaker at this week’s convention in Charlotte, N.C. Liberals may be smart enough to avoid alienating the almost half of all Americans who have guns in their homes, but the same can’t be said for their party platform.

The Democratic policy statement approved this week calls for enacting “common-sense improvements — like reinstating the assault-weapons ban and closing the gun-show loophole.” The so-called “assault-weapons ban” in the 1990s banned scary-looking guns and magazines that held over 10 rounds. The platform does toss in a line that claims to recognize the right to bear arms, but it is “subject to reasonable regulation.” The left wants “an honest, open national conversation about firearms.”

I asked many Democratic leaders about the party’s position on firearms at the convention, but almost all claimed not to have read that section of the platform. Jesse Jackson was one of the few willing to come out and say he wants to ban all guns except bolt-action rifles, shotguns and revolvers.

“You have the right to have a gun in your castle to protect your house. You have the right to have a gun to hunt,” the reverend said in an interview in Charlotte. “Semi-automatic weapons — military-style weapons — are beyond the zone of reasonableness.” The civil-rights leader asserted, “These mass killings in Aurora and Milwaukee … we must end easy access and ban these assault weapons.” He added, “Twenty-five percent of all police are killed by assault weapons, and they cannot defend themselves from that.”

The District of Columbia has the most stringent gun laws in the country, requiring registration of every firearm while denying any right to carry. D.C. Councilman Jack Evans, a delegate to the convention, explained to me, “We still feel very strongly about guns in the District — and people not having them.” Mr. Evans said of the platform, “the stronger the language, the better.”

In contrast, the Republican platform opposes restoration of the “ill-considered Clinton gun ban” and supports national reciprocity for concealed carry, a House-passed bill that’s currently stalled in the Democrat-controlled Senate. The GOP also opposes a new Senate bill to restrict “high-capacity” magazines.

Republican vice-presidential nominee Paul Ryan embraced the issue in Iowa on Wednesday. “I see a guy with an NRA hat, I see a bunch of camo. I have those myself,” said the Wisconsin congressman. He asked the crowd if they remembered when Mr. Obama said people in the Midwest were clinging to their guns and their religion.

When the crowd yelled, “yeah!” he responded, “This Catholic deer hunter is darn proud of that, and I’m guilty as charged. That’s who we are in this country. I happily cling to my guns and my religion.” In November, Republicans will appeal to more undecided voters with their words and policies supporting gun owners.

Emily Miller is a senior editor for the Opinion pages at The Washington Times.

Read more: MILLER: Hide your guns - Washington Times http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/sep/6/hide-your-guns/#ixzz25nBu9ySl
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That interesting that Mr. Jackson didn't mention Chicago, guns are illegal there, how's that working out, Mr. Jackson?

What?

No, I can't do that to myself...

I couldn't resist

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. There are plenty of pro-gun Democrats. At least 2 of them are running for Congress from Oklahoma.
2. The Democratic party has pretty much figured out that gun control is a third-rail issue. People like Feinstein and Boxer are making noise to fire up their constituencies but that's mostly it.
3. There's very little correlation between a party's platform and their actual policies when they govern.

Also

I asked many Democratic leaders about the party’s position on firearms at the convention, but almost all claimed not to have read that section of the platform.

They're probably not lying. Almost no one reads it.

Jesse Jackson was one of the few willing to come out and say he wants to ban all guns except bolt-action rifles, shotguns and revolvers.

The other possibility, which isn't mentioned, is that no one else they talked to wants to ban guns.

I know I'll get ignored and/or shouted down with "BUT THE FOX NEWS SAID THAT OBUMMER'S TAKIN OUR GUNS" but I just thought I'd try to counteract some of the election-year FUD that's being spread.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think ya said it well enough. None of the political heavy weights of the Dems have made gun control an issue. It still pays to be diligent.

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those plenteous pro-gun Democrats are guilty as charged of allowing this into their platform. Looking out for the interests of their constituents requires a bit more than just avoiding direct complicity in harming them.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think ya said it well enough. None of the political heavy weights of the Dems have made gun control an issue. It still pays to be diligent.

Absolutely. My problem is that everyone in the shooting community runs around like Chicken Little yelling "THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS FALLING!!!!" every time some jerkass like Barbara Boxer gets on TV and runs her mouth. There's a difference between being vigilant and being the boy who cried 'wolf.'

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm fully aware of those democrats who support gun ownership and the 2nd amendment. There are STILL just as many if not MANY more democrats who look at all gun owners as backwards, uneducated, drunken, uber-violent rednecks and if you want more people to come to your party, I think it should be up to YOU to change this ridiculous image of your fellow gun owners. Crying wolf is a stupid argument when it's ON THEIR PLATFORM. Doesn't matter if people are unaware of it or not. If he's re-elected, it will become part of the agenda.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I really think someday in my lifetime, Gun owners will have to sit down with the anti's and have a negotiation on gun laws. Either we'll negotiate or get something rammed down our throats.

And it wont matter who the POTUS is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom