The Car Buying Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
jim norton gave me a fair price for my 01 F-150 that i couldnt sell for anything. Bob hurley...namely darrel jones there wanted to give me $800 for a truck worth way more, I told him to go F himself.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had one mediocre deal and that was with ... crap. A Ford house no longer in business. The salesman from the Ford house in Guthrie from where I bought my first truck was actually deported back to Nigeria. Bad made worse when the sales manager was tagged for drugs. I have seen them hide keys, et cetera. Best was Lynn Hickey with the Fort Knox approach and the security guard. He was Stanley's mentor. Good luck out there.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True. Though the cynical side of me suspects it was a fluke and that I'd be just as likely to be treated poorly there next time and great at Fowler.

This. I got well and truly insulted at JN in Tulsa when buying a Tundra and I'll never go back. Unfortunately the other Tulsa dealership has gone from Crow Brothers, to Riverside to Momentum in less than 10 years, so I don't have any serious faith in them either.

I will say this though, my family has purchased eight vehicles in Tulsa from Don Thornton dealerships over the past 30 years and we've never had a sour deal. The last two have been from Lexus of Tulsa, which is a DT dealership. Those buying experiences have been superb.

dx3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jim Norton has always done me right. Like posted above, I sold them a car (not a trade, I straight up sold it to them) for more than I could get out of it private party...

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you are happy with the deal. If I buy anything in the Tulsa area, I go see Eddie at Bill Knight Ford, he can get anything and I consider him a friend. I have purchased 3 vehicles from him this year. Great guy and great service at this dealership.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I had just the opposite experience dealing with Fowler Toyota last year when I bought my wife her new 2011 Camry SE. I used USAA's car buying service and went to the three dealers they listed. I used each one to get the next one's price lower the previous. I went to Fowler Toyota last and visited with Bruce Pitts. He sold my FIL his Tundra and my MIL her Venza. They gave me way more for my wife's Mazda CX-7 trade in then anyone else by almost $2,000 and then had a lower price on the Camry. The Camry ended up coming from a Tulsa dealer but my experience was the best I ever had.

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been watching the GSA auctions (there are two in OKC, one every two weeks) and they sell most of their cars, vans, and trucks at about the wholesale price listed on the NADA website, mostly to auto dealers. So, an individual buying for himself only has to offer $100 more than a dealer would be willing to pay.

If they have something you like (Ford, GM, Chrysler products only) it might be an option.

I've never managed to buy anything from Fowler. When I bought a new Toyota van, their best offer was the MSRP. What was odd they took 30 minutes to cook that offer up. I ended up buying at another dealership, not the greatest deal ever but I did beat the MSRP :woot:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you have cawx for cable, call and tell them you got the puppy offer in the mail and want to get it activated. They will be in a frenzy trying to figure out how they sent that to you. It's a 50% off for 6 months for you to come back after you cancel. If you can stick to your guns that it came addressed to you then it should be magical.

:uhwhat:

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I got the puppy postcard after I cancelled cox. Too little, too late, I had already signed up for AT&T naked dsl, 19.95 a month for a year. (the postcard is an offer for discounted service for people who just cancelled the service.)

Cox and AT&T have instituted monthly bandwidth caps, but AT&T is 150gb vs. cox 50gb. I won't use 150 but 50 is cutting it too close, especially for the money cox wants to charge.

This reminds me of the 80s-90s when long distance companies would pay you to switch. The more you switched the more money you saved. Loyalty means nothing (then and now)

Latest posts

Top Bottom