Used Car Resources?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's about time to buy my son a car as he and his sister, are both working and driving. One kid car just doesn't cut it anymore, but I have been out of the used market for years. What are good sites and tools for buying a used car these days? I refuse to deal with Carmax as they repeatedly lied to me, the one time I was looking at used in the last 10 years. No excuses, they flat out lied multiple times, while trying to make the deal. Looking at financing, rates are best for 2016 or newer cars if that narrows it down.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife was looking a few years ago for vehicles and showed me many and I would turn most of them down.
CVT transmissions are a big NO.
I researched reliability and problems with many vehicles and HATE a V6 for the most part.
Although there are some out there that can do the 300,000 mile jaunt without any issues.

Ended up with the engine I liked 1.8 liter Toyota 4 cylinder and a 4 speed automatic OD transmission in a Pontiac Vibe.
I like my old reliable Toyota power plants.

Good luck in your search.
Craigslist and in different cities and states and Auto trader and Facebook. not that i am on facebook. I am not.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Craigslist, Ebay, and private sellers are your best option. If you must go to a dealership, remember there's about 4k worth of markup in most used cars and act accordingly. You'll also do better at 8pm on the last day of the month. Or any day there's snow on the ground.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Not buying a 16 year old a new car, much as he might like it.
That's noble and probably wise if you're going private sale like Tinker said...but if you're going to any kind of dealer/financing, it's almost better to buy new because the used prices are so out of this world, it's not worth it. Maybe to save a couple dollars, but for the headache, don't know if it is.

I just did this for a college kid, and the used cars were absolutely not worth it...overall, a new car was cheaper via maintenance, warranty, and insurance wise and payments than getting a late model used.

Cash for private sale is the only way to get a used car and not get ripped off. Other route is to get a simple bank loan then go buy one private sale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom