The end of the AK-47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it the end of the AK-47 in the USA?

• Yes

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 61 87.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had several AK variants, including a Tromix S12, an RPK, and a very nice Arsenal AK-74, but I just prefer the fit, finish, and feel of an AR.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you own one or an sks, why aren’t you neck deep in ammo? Nothing last forever, whatever your favorite is stack ammo deep. There is a bajillion damn Ak’s in the world and us, it won’t disappear but the worlds is changing and the younger generation like what’s cool on tv now

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm quite a fan of the AK-47 personally. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not a perfect platform. If i had to choose between an AK and an AR i'd choose an AR-15 for multitude of reasons. Availability in USA, reliability, accuracy, Ammo availability, Cost in USA, etc. but the AK-47 is a 'cool' gun, it has a lot of history too it, it's reliability is legendary, though i've seen the infamous Youtube videos that dispel it and show how reliable the 'closed' AR system is comparatively in adverse conditions. But the low maintenance nature, and (for the time) ease of manufacturing made it the weapon of choice amongst bad guys. I mean, it's an ugly ass gun, but that ugly has it's own sexiness to it.
classic-soviet-ak-machine-gun-260nw-1762587908.jpg

ak-74s are pretty awesome, too. it's a shame that the weapon isn't as available in the USA, and 7.62x39 is much cheaper and more available(or was) than the AK74 rounds.

It seems all is changing, the doomsday has arrived. With the sanctions, war in Ukraine and so on, these guns that used to be cheap beaters are now 1k+, some good examples over 1,300(!), even the old WASR is like ~800+

I can get a top of the line AR-15 for that. a superior weapon(in my opinion). Is there any reason to even own these things anymore? i bet the ammo is going thru the roof, too. Are the days of WASR over? I was wondering what ya'lls opinion on the AK market in 2022 and the future of the semi auto AK in the USA. I heard Kalashnikov USA is making new ones for 1,300, but it's hard to justify the price when i can get a decent AR for half that.... I mean, how do ya'll feel about the AK47/74?

Having said that

My two cents are the AK’s days are not over. Other countries that are not Russia can still import cheap 7.62 x 39. Demand will make it happen.

I think the cheep ammo was a point of making the AK attractive to people. I know it was for me when I was younger. I remember buying $200 AKs. I also remember under the Clinton years of that BS assault weapons ban of 1994-2004 The ammo being over $300 - K. Before the band it was less than $100. Then after the band it drop to about 150-200. So we’re kind of in the same area right now. Before the stupid magazine ban where you could get cheap mags for like three or four bucks were now bringing 20 to 30 bucks and more.

Main thing that sucks right now is the price of the platform. The cheap days are gone at the moment. But who knows what the future holds.

Personally I love the AK 74 chambered in 556. The best of both worlds. I kind of saw this thing coming. Having seen what despicable POS Democrats do I knew their game plan for the future. Just didn’t know when it was gonna happen. Bajing Biden fulfilled The prophecy and did just like dingleberry Obamanation with the ban of Russian ammunition. Obama banned Russian guns and surplus 7n6 ammo, Beijing Biden banned all the ammo. 762 x 39 has always been the weak point of the AK. Not in performance but in cheap affordable future accessibility.

The weak link for the 556 AK is good magazines. Looks like all the east German Wieger magazines dried up. They were all metal and really good. As far as I know the Bulgarian ones are extremely expensive and I don’t recall if they’re are metal reinforced. I’m not a real fan of the adapters that use AR magazines in them. From a logistics point it makes sense. Form a cosmetic point it looks ugly as bat shite. I don’t like AR parts on an AK.

After the surplus 545x39 tap had been shut off by Obama it was just a matter of time before the rest of it was. 556 is the most logical caliber to have an AK chambered in. That’s ammo is gonna be continued to be pumped out here in the US.

The AK is a reliable and dependable platform. Just like the old Timex watches, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It’s fairly accurate with its use of open style sites. They can be a challenge for some, even more so for others. If you put an optic or red dot on it that tends to fix that issue which some claim with accuracy.

9mm AKs? Love love love. Can’t go wrong. PSAs AKV, it’s is a dream. Little American Vityas suka. Sweet little fire breather. And cheap mags. The only thing I don’t like is them putting on AR style furniture. Easy enough to change out. The only thing wrong with it isn’t even wrong. It can eat up a lot of ammo quick. A natural bumper if you know what I mean.

I don’t think the AK in American calibers is gonna go anywhere soon.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
9mm ak > 9mm ar
.22lr ar > .22lr ak
5.56 ar > 5.56 ak
5.45 ak > 5.45 ar (they do exist....)
7.62 ak > 7.62 ar
i fully expect to see a .300 blk chambered US AK at some point. someone will do it. that would be cool i think.
uh i've shot way more calibers in an AR platform than AK (which....makes sense) and the ak is preferable for me on most of them.

holy crap an AR with one of those cmmg .22lr drop in bolts is unbelievable amounts of fun tho. and i'm not a huge fan of 5.56 ak's, i think that's a copout. too bad i shot as much 7n6 as i did, heck when it was my second cheapest gun to shoot next to .22 i was going thru cans of that stuff lol. glad i kept a bunch but still. dang.

if you want a 5.56 ak just get a galil or something.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My two cents are the AK’s days are not over. Other countries that are not Russia can still import cheap 7.62 x 39. Demand will make it happen.

I think the cheep ammo was a point of making the AK attractive to people. I know it was for me when I was younger. I remember buying $200 AKs. I also remember under the Clinton years of that BS assault weapons ban of 1994-2004 The ammo being over $300 - K. Before the band it was less than $100. Then after the band it drop to about 150-200. So we’re kind of in the same area right now. Before the stupid magazine ban where you could get cheap mags for like three or four bucks were now bringing 20 to 30 bucks and more.

Main thing that sucks right now is the price of the platform. The cheap days are gone at the moment. But who knows what the future holds.

Personally I love the AK 74 chambered in 556. The best of both worlds. I kind of saw this thing coming. Having seen what despicable POS Democrats do I knew their game plan for the future. Just didn’t know when it was gonna happen. Bajing Biden fulfilled The prophecy and did just like dingleberry Obamanation with the ban of Russian ammunition. Obama banned Russian guns and surplus 7n6 ammo, Beijing Biden banned all the ammo. 762 x 39 has always been the weak point of the AK. Not in performance but in cheap affordable future accessibility.

The weak link for the 556 AK is good magazines. Looks like all the east German Wieger magazines dried up. They were all metal and really good. As far as I know the Bulgarian ones are extremely expensive and I don’t recall if they’re are metal reinforced. I’m not a real fan of the adapters that use AR magazines in them. From a logistics point it makes sense. Form a cosmetic point it looks ugly as bat shite. I don’t like AR parts on an AK.

After the surplus 545x39 tap had been shut off by Obama it was just a matter of time before the rest of it was. 556 is the most logical caliber to have an AK chambered in. That’s ammo is gonna be continued to be pumped out here in the US.

The AK is a reliable and dependable platform. Just like the old Timex watches, takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It’s fairly accurate with its use of open style sites. They can be a challenge for some, even more so for others. If you put an optic or red dot on it that tends to fix that issue which some claim with accuracy.

9mm AKs? Love love love. Can’t go wrong. PSAs AKV, it’s is a dream. Little American Vityas suka. Sweet little fire breather. And cheap mags. The only thing I don’t like is them putting on AR style furniture. Easy enough to change out. The only thing wrong with it isn’t even wrong. It can eat up a lot of ammo quick. A natural bumper if you know what I mean.

I don’t think the AK in American calibers is gonna go anywhere soon.
i appreciate your point of view. 200 dollar AKs?

i spend half my life thinking i was born in the wrong generation.

then again, i'd probably take it for granted and be 2x as mad to see this price gouging in effect.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9mm ak > 9mm ar
.22lr ar > .22lr ak
5.56 ar > 5.56 ak
5.45 ak > 5.45 ar (they do exist....)
7.62 ak > 7.62 ar
i fully expect to see a .300 blk chambered US AK at some point. someone will do it. that would be cool i think.
No real point in a .300BLK AK, when it isn't much different than 7.62x39 to make it worth it - at least to me.
Stocked up on all of my favorite calibers since Sandy Hook. I'm good on about everything, and as much as I've been shooting lately - my (hopefully) grandkids will be in pretty good shape.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
No real point in a .300BLK AK, when it isn't much different than 7.62x39 to make it worth it - at least to me.
Stocked up on all of my favorite calibers since Sandy Hook. I'm good on about everything, and as much as I've been shooting lately - my (hopefully) grandkids will be in pretty good shape.
oh i agree, it's pointless.
but someone will do it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom