The Great Ammo Run of 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stopped by Bass Pro in BA tonight to check the pistol ammo situation. Wow. The desolation was near total on pistol ammo.

i977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_11E7FC66_249A_4C1e4c47c57a3742c4ed637e27507bf9bee.jpg

If you were in need of 45LC, you were in luck. Otherwise, not so much. Picked up several boxes of Critical Defense in 38 Spl and 357 Mag and a few boxes of Golden Sabre 38 Spl. I didn't take everything in sight. I took a gander at the reloading supplies which was equally dreadful.

When I returned to the pistol ammo aisle not 3 minutes later, all the 38 & 357 was gone, save for four boxes of Golden Sabres on the near bottom shelf.

Just freaking amazing.

King Obama is most assuredly the best ammo salesman the world has ever seen.

bmwguy25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was the 2008 deal just a shortage or were people doing what they do now and buying it all up. IT sucks you can't go plinking. I said for months I needed to get some more ammoa nd just kep putting it off now its to late.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in the same Bass Pro just a few weeks ago and it was pretty bad, but nothing like this. It looked like the milk aisle before a hurricane.

Last time I found some bricks of 22 LR. I should've bought more, but I really thought the run would be limited to 9mm, 40, 45 and AR ammo.

I'm still not sure what's driving the .22 buying frenzy. I see AR 22s for sale everywhere. Curiouser and curiouser.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just going to stop shooting for awhile, aside from varmit hunting. I've got quite a bit of ammo in the calibers that I shoot often but looking at replacing ammo that I paid.$.30-$1 a round with the same stuff costing $1-$2 per round just makes me sick.

On a side note, I'm glad I didn't sell my 22-250. Never thought I'd be able to buy premium ammo cheaper for it than I could in .223.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was the same deal. People panic buying.

And that took nearly a year before ammo stores caught up to purchasing at major retailers. And then there were no real concrete plans for any AWB or ammo limits... only speculation because Obama had been elected. At this point, we know there is real legislation being heavily pushed AND backed by the White House, a definite threat of some kind of action through Executive Orders, and a lot of nationwide sympathy for the movement by those apathetic to gun rights.

Anyone care to make predictions on how long it will take for things to get back to "normal" or at least to the new baseline?

Not me....

Latest posts

Top Bottom