The Greatest Attack Jet You've Never Heard Of

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
T-37 "Tweets" were the primary trainers at Vance Air Force base for decades. Definitely had a sound of their own lol. T-1 and T-6 Texans replaced it. Had no idea they made an attack version lol.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The A-37 Dragonfly, the "Super Tweet"

I was trained to work on the Tweet, but never got to see a Dragonfly. On the Tweet, if you had two techs to work on it, you could change the nose wheel without a jack. One guy leaning on the tail, and one pulling the wheel. And they used the same engine as the -60 power unit that the F-111D's that I worked on later used to turn over the engine for startup. I believe the F-4D's my ex worked on also used the -60, but didn't ever get to play with the F-4's except in class. At that time, they were my favorite jet. Then the A-10 came along... Though I never got to work on the airframe, just photographed tests of their weapons systems.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The USAF keeps trying to reinvent the CAS wheel , when they had some really good CAS planes like the Dragonfly which they got rid of cause they really hate the CAS mission . One of the few times Congress has been halfway useful has been preventing the USAF from getting rid of the A10 .

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course I've heard of them. Know some folks who flew them in 'Nam. I worked on the T-37 for more years than I care to remember and saw, but never worked on, several A-37's. They traded the J-69 engine for the J-85 minus the afterburner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom