The Landowner's Hunting Freedom Act (2012 SB 1743): Hunting with Suppressors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This bill was killed in committee due to no seconding motion to bring this bill to a vote. Senator Russell said he is going to work on bringing this bill back somehow but he has informed the NRA about the results.

Edit: Forgot to add not only did the wildlife agencies show up on to do their part on getting the bill killed but OHP did as well.

Last edited:

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did someone need to second the motion for a vote in the committee or toget a vote in the senate?

I would love to hear the wildlife agency's and OHP's argument against the bill. That is complete ignorance.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did someone need to second the motion for a vote in the committee or toget a vote in the senate?

I would love to hear the wildlife agency's and OHP's argument against the bill. That is complete ignorance.

I think it was to just get a vote in the committee. If the bill passed the committee vote, I think it would then have been sent back to the Senate for a vote there.

I would like to hear those arguments as well. I know I sent Ron Justice numerous resources that could have been used to discredit any misinformation but I have a feeling he didn't read any of them.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got word Senator Russell is working hard to get the bill moved to the Agri Committee. If this happens I will post an update so you can email the members of that committee to help get this passed.

If moved the bill could be heard as early as next Monday.

O

OK Hog Shooter

Once again, thanks to you guys for keeping us all up to date on this. I'm really surprised there isn't more interest from forum members here.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The ODWC's stance along with most all the game wardens and police are for poaching reasons. Game wardens claim that hearing guns shots at night are the biggest give away on road hunting spot lighting etc. Everyone else knows this as well and it can keep an honest man honest with the though that the loud noise will get him busted. Take that loud noise away... Makes it extremely easy to do illegal hunting activities with little to no chance of being caught.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take that loud noise away... Makes it extremely easy to do illegal hunting activities with little to no chance of being caught.

A suppressor does not completely remove that noise!! What about using a crossbow? Do we need to restrict them as well? They do not require a $200 tax stamp, FBI background check, and about a 6 month wait to be able to pick it up from the dealer. They are also a lot closer to completely quiet than a suppressor as most suppressors are just under the noise limit that creates discomfort in the ear.

Using the same misconception you just posted is what is making this harder than normal to pass the bill. You have to educate people that suppressor do not completely eliminate all noise from a rifle or pistol and then get them to realize the movies have never shown a suppressor in true light. Besides if allowing suppressors would cause so much illegal activities, then why are four states this year on the way to pass and implement legislation like this and why do you not hear of rampanant poaching reports from those states that do allow this? The answer is it just does not correlate and people are just fearmongering when using the same argument you did.

That argument also assume that most residents in the state are not law-abiding and you are restricting the rights of many because of what a few resident are already doing and will continue to do with or without this legislation being passed.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey I didnt say those were my thoughts, I am all for supressors. What I said was that's the ODWCs stance on the subject.
As for comparing it to an xbow... Not even a comparison.
A gun that can easily shoot multiply rounds out the window of a truck at hundreds of yards vs a bow that's capable to 50-60 yards one shot at a time, not to mention the tracking involved with archery.
Besides, have you ever tried to shoot an xbow out the window of a truck ? :rolleyes2

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey I didnt say those were my thoughts, I am all for supressors. What I said was that's the ODWCs stance on the subject.
As for comparing it to an xbow... Not even a comparison.
A gun that can easily shoot multiply rounds out the window of a truck at hundreds of yards vs a bow that's capable to 50-60 yards one shot at a time, not to mention the tracking involved with archery.
Besides, have you ever tried to shoot an xbow out the window of a truck ? :rolleyes2

My bad. The way you posted it without any comment saying what you posted is a huge misconception and wrong, it sounded like you believe the info in your post and logic ODWC might be using.

However, there is a comparison between a crossbow and a rifle (suppressed or unsuppressed) in the view of poaching. A poacher will more than likely obtain a crossbow over a suppressor due to the cost and time it takes to legally possess a suppressor. If they make an illegal suppressor, then poaching will be the least of their worries if they are caught and having the restriction in the hunting regulations will not stop them anyway and only restricts the rights of the law-abiding residents.

I also don't think many poachers are going to start shooting several times at an animal as that will draw more attention to themselves. Besides, I bet most shots poachers take are within 25-50 yards of the road as they are not trying to shoot a deer a 100 yards away, then have to track it and carry it back to the truck. While I have not tried to shoot anything out of a truck much less try to poach, I would assume most poachers will hit the animal first shot, take a shot and move to a new area if they missed, or could even possibly have a buddy riding in the back of the truck to make it an easier shot. ;)

dwkennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ODWC's stance along with most all the game wardens and police are for poaching reasons. Game wardens claim that hearing guns shots at night are the biggest give away on road hunting spot lighting etc. Everyone else knows this as well and it can keep an honest man honest with the though that the loud noise will get him busted. Take that loud noise away... Makes it extremely easy to do illegal hunting activities with little to no chance of being caught.

Unfortunately, people poaching are already ignoring the laws, if they had a suppressor they'd probably ignore that law as well.

Like gun ownership in general, I don't think we should punish the innocent for the potential actions of the guilty.

In a similar vein... let's ban all guns, archery tackle, pointy sticks, etc., then there will be no poaching at all :hithead:

Latest posts

Top Bottom