The meaning of words......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No English dictionary has been able to adequately explain the difference between these two words: COMPLETE and FINISHED.

In a recent linguistic competition held in London and attended by, supposedly, the best in the world, Samdar Balgobin, a Guyanese man, was the clear winner with a standing ovation which lasted over 5 minutes.

The final question was: 'How do you explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand? (Some people say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.)

Here is his astute answer:

"When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED. And when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!"

He won a trip around the world and a case of 25 year old Scotch!

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No English dictionary has been able to adequately explain the difference between these two words: COMPLETE and FINISHED.

In a recent linguistic competition held in London and attended by, supposedly, the best in the world, Samdar Balgobin, a Guyanese man, was the clear winner with a standing ovation which lasted over 5 minutes.

The final question was: 'How do you explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand? (Some people say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.)

Here is his astute answer:

"When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED. And when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!"

He won a trip around the world and a case of 25 year old Scotch!
Dilly Dilly:drunk:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, I had to google it... :D

It’s catchy. It’s easily digestible and repeatable. It’s silly (silly). It can be used to express agreement, thanks or as a greeting, so it was bound to catch on.

But “Dilly Dilly” wasn’t a pure stroke of genius out of thin air. According to dictionary.com, the origins of “dilly” are in a shortening of the word “delightful” or “delicious,” probably from the 1930s. On its own, it has come to mean “something or someone regarded as remarkable or unusual.”

The phrase could have roots even deeper in the English lexicon, though. A nursery rhyme titled “Lavender’s Blue” that dates back to the 17th century uses “dilly dilly” as part of its cadence in most of its lines. Burl Ives recorded a version of a song adapted from that nursery rhyme, which was included in the 1949 film “So Dear to My Heart.”

The old British television comedy “Dad’s Army” also makes reference to the poem in an episode about preparing a wartime radio broadcast to the waiting empire.

After waiting its turn for quite a while, it looks like “Dilly Dilly” has arrived on the tip of our tongue – for the moment, anyway.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article181006346.html

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I ran across this several years ago , while reading some english history or an old book (memory not serving me at the moment) and just thought it was great when I seen it in the commercial!!! I just hope it does not catch on like wasup, still catch myself using that occasionally and it drives me nuts:cool: when I do it LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom