the most precious gift.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the last two weeks of my life have been very tuff. I have been through a full range of emotions and I am now emotionally and physically drained. on december 15th I lost my dad, he was an amazing man but I don't want to make this about him. I will say a little bit about him later. what I really want to say is at this time of year when we are all focused on gifts and celebration we sometimes forget about the ultimate gift that was given to us. but I wont get religious on you either. but I would like to talk about something I have been struggling with for the last two weeks, and that is time. we all live our lives like we are going to live forever but the truth is that many of us have a very limited time left and we never know when we will be called home. time is precious and once it is gone we cant get it back. for the last seven years dad and i spent a father son weekend fishing and hanging out. we had alot of great times over the last 40 years but now that he is gone i realize that wasn't enough. take a piece of advice and spend your time wisely, go see your mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters. take them fishing go to lunch go shopping it doesn't matter just take the time now while you have it before it is gone. nothing hurts more than wishing for something that you can never have. time will heal and I know dad is better off he is now out of pain.

a short bit about dad.
he was a viet naim veteran with 26yrs active military service retired army CW4 army pilot with his master wings. he was the recipient of 2 bronze and 1 silver star. after retiring from the army he was a school teacher so he has touched many lives throughout the years. he was an amazing man and wonderful husband to my mother and a fantastic father, grandfather and great grandfather. he will be missed by many.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

I lost my Dad a few years ago and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I had more time with him. I think most men feel that way too.

I think it's also true amongst most that they never feel their mortality as much as when their parents pass on. I know that held true with me as well.

primeoflife321

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Hang in there.

I lost my Dad a few years ago and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish I had more time with him. I think most men feel that way too.

I think it's also true amongst most that they never feel their mortality as much as when their parents pass on. I know that held true with me as well.

My story too...
time does help get you past the feelings you have now, but there will always be a rumble in your heart..

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss. God bless you and your family.

I hope at least one person takes your advice to heart, spend a few minutes to make a call to long distance relative, take the time to spend the time with those you love.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss. God bless you and your family.

I hope at least one person takes your advice to heart, spend a few minutes to make a call to long distance relative, take the time to spend the time with those you love.

me too, if this only causes one person to make time it would make me happy.

jimeradams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel your pain too. I lost my dad a few years ago too. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him and the great things he taught me. I am who I am because of my parents.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lost my father a year and a half ago. Listened last night to George Strait singing "A Father's Love" and I lost it. Still have my mother, but she is getting up in her years, so you can imagine how I felt hearing "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" played on Christmas Eve. So, do take the advice of the OP and others--take the time to acknowledge those who mean so much to you. Call them, or better yet (if they're close by), go see them, but just tell them you love them. It's the holidays, after all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom