The Native American drummer in D.C.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me, there is a huge difference from being a "Vietnam veteran" and being a "Vietnam-Era veteran."

Time frame means nothing if one isn't actually "in-country."

Understood and agreed. But it matters to the law and assignment of Veteran's benefits. But that isn't what is in question here. It has been reported that the Indian stated he was a Vietnam-Era vet and also reported elsewhere quite differently. If he indeed stated Vietnam-Era vet then he stated the truth according to the law, regardless of anyone's personal feelings regarding veteran status.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Understood and agreed. But it matters to the law and assignment of Veteran's benefits. But that isn't what is in question here. It has been reported that the Indian stated he was a Vietnam-Era vet and also reported elsewhere quite differently. If he indeed stated Vietnam-Era vet then he stated the truth according to the law, regardless of anyone's personal feelings regarding veteran status.

Well, your original quote along this line of thinking was that "toothy qualifies." I was not implying he didn't qualify as "Vietnam Era," which is how I would also qualify. However, neither he nor I qualify to call ourselves Vietnam vets.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Phillips has been known to slyly skirt the actual status of his service. This is a quote from a Vogue article where he was protesting the Dakota Pipeline:

https://www.vogue.com/projects/13542941/return-to-standing-rock/

Now to anyone who doesn’t have firsthand experience, that’s worded to make them believe he was a combat veteran IN Vietnam. It’s definitely implied. So Phillips is a liar. He was a shitbird in the Corps and he’s a liar now.

He personally stated twice in his CNN interview that he was a Vietnam Vet. Not era or times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is when the definition of Vietnam Veteran or Vietnam Era Veteran got blurred.

In 2007, the 110th Congress incorporated language in H.R. 4986 authorizing the Secretary of Defense to conduct a program commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War.

The Commemoration honors all United States veterans who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces at any time between November 1, 1955 to and May 15, 1975, regardless of location. The Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that today there are 7 million living Vietnam veterans and 9 million families of those who served in this time frame. We make no distinction between veterans who served in-country, in-theater, or who were stationed elsewhere during the Vietnam War period. All were called to serve and the overwhelming majority of these veterans served honorably and admirably.
https://www.vietnamwar50th.com/faq/#149

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Cool. I’m a Vietnam Vet even though I was stationed at Paris Island and Fort Leavenworth KS. Gotta get me a new hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is when the definition of Vietnam Veteran or Vietnam Era Veteran got blurred.

In 2007, the 110th Congress incorporated language in H.R. 4986 authorizing the Secretary of Defense to conduct a program commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War.

The Commemoration honors all United States veterans who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces at any time between November 1, 1955 to and May 15, 1975, regardless of location. The Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that today there are 7 million living Vietnam veterans and 9 million families of those who served in this time frame. We make no distinction between veterans who served in-country, in-theater, or who were stationed elsewhere during the Vietnam War period. All were called to serve and the overwhelming majority of these veterans served honorably and admirably.
https://www.vietnamwar50th.com/faq/#149
I looked up the statistics once, and, as I recall them, just as many servicemen died outside the war zone as died in Vietnam itself. So maybe it should be OK to call someone a Vietnam Vet if he served during Vietnam Times.

Not at all serious about that last part, but I did look up the stats, and the war zone vs. non war zone fatalities were surprisingly close.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last time I was at the VA Medical Center in Muskogee, the canteen service had “Vietnam Veteran” and “Vietnam Era” ballcaps available for purchase. Hmmm

Latest posts

Top Bottom