The Native American drummer in D.C.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is written on the DD214 to establish Vietnam "veteran" status. Just curious.
I'm too lazy to dig out my 214, remember seeing it listed but can't recall exactly how. Seem to remember it listed my receiving a "Vietnam service medal".

I feel the “Vietnam Era” crap is just that crap, hero wannabees...

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since he was a refrigeration technician does that maybe make him a "Aircon Ranger" LOL!

Oops My mistake. On facebook they are calling him the "Freon Ranger"

Last edited:

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm too lazy to dig out my 214, remember seeing it listed but can't recall exactly how. Seem to remember it listed my receiving a "Vietnam service medal".
I just checked mine and I received an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and a Navy Expeditionary Medal. I was on the USS Enterprise (CVAN-65) for the 1974-75 cruise. We spent an indeterminate time in the Gulf of Tonkin in the middle of December, 1974* and flew air cover for Operation Frequent Wind, the evacuation of Saigon. For that, we were on station from April 19th, 1975 to May 1st, 1975. I'm not sure whether that makes me a Vietnam vet or a Vietnam-era vet.
I feel the “Vietnam Era” crap is just that crap, hero wannabees...
No, it's an important distinction--every service member that served between 1964 and 1975 served during the Vietnam era, no matter where they served, for nearly all had the potential to be assigned to the theater of war.

(*In researching this, the best source I could find was the Naval History and Heritage Command website. The relevant page can be found here: https://www.history.navy.mil/resear...anfs/e/enterprise-cvan-65-viii-1971-1975.html)
(Edited to clarify timelines.)

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just checked mine and I received an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and a Navy Expeditionary Medal. I was on the USS Enterprise (CVAN-65) for the 1974-75 cruise. We spent an indeterminate time in the Gulf of Tonkin in the middle of December, 1974* and flew air cover for Operation Frequent Wind, the evacuation of Saigon. For that, we were on station from April 19th, 1975 to May 1st, 1975. I'm not sure whether that makes me a Vietnam vet or a Vietnam-era vet.

No, it's an important distinction--every service member that served between 1964 and 1975 served during the Vietnam era, no matter where they served, for nearly all had the potential to be assigned to the theater of war.

(*In researching this, the best source I could find was the Naval History and Heritage Command website. The relevant page can be found here: https://www.history.navy.mil/resear...anfs/e/enterprise-cvan-65-viii-1971-1975.html)
(Edited to clarify timelines.)

IMO, the expeditionary medals make you a Vietnam Vet. There are an infinite number of "levels" if you will regarding service during a conflict. They range from still being in basic when hostilities end, to deep behind enemy lines in firefights with the enemy.

My 214 says Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and Combat Action Ribbon. I still consider my combat experience to be very limited and not comparable to some who were in Vietnam and now those in the GWOT. Still, I volunteered for the assignment that sent me into combat. I even extended my enlistment for 6 extra months to go, so that counts for something in my book.

I appreciate all the servicemen and women who performed support roles and may never have had the distinction of being in combat. I know there were a lot of cooks and maintenance personnel operating in FOBs who saw more combat than me, so it all counts. But none of that changes the fact that Phillips was a shitbird when he was in and probably took more resources to deal with than he contributed. So I don't have to respect HIS "service". I earned the right to make that judgement as many on OSA have. If they disagree with me and honor his service, then they earned that right too.

But I won't stand for some leftist who never served (I'm looking at you Alyssa Milano) telling me how I should view Phillips. By perpetuating the lies, he's proving that once a shitbird, always a shitbird. I have no use for him, and I support a great many Native American causes.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But I won't stand for some leftist who never served (I'm looking at you Alyssa Milano) telling me how I should view Phillips. By perpetuating the lies, he's proving that once a shitbird, always a shitbird. I have no use for him, and I support a great many Native American causes.

Amen, brother!

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4 years, 3 AWOLs, discharged as E-1

And a jailbird to boot. https://nypost.com/2019/01/24/native-american-activist-nathan-phillips-has-a-criminal-record/

Sounds like he probably had a familiar style as a guy I once worked with on a concrete paving crew. Out all night drinking, show up severely hung over the next day puking in the concrete then pulling it up into curb. I can point the exact spot on a map where it happened. In fact here it is: https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...697dc925bbf1bb!8m2!3d42.4960596!4d-96.4354729 right about where the red car is parked. Can't remember the tribe he was from but that was the lifestyle he lived with his wife. Make enough money to go out and drink their meals all night long. Never remember him eating anything throughout the day but that was almost 25 years ago.

Then again another guy on the crew liked to "moon" everyone.... One day we got him good though, he dropped em and a couple cans of spray paint were revealed to get rid of the pasty white color, one cheek was florescent pink and the other florescent green.

Latest posts

Top Bottom