The (New) Adult Beverage thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't wanna take over another thread. Lost the first one in the great pr0n crash, it seems?

So... tried some new stuff last night. Some worked out ok, some didn't.

Tried a Manhattan, based on some guys here saying how much they liked them. Personally wasn't to my taste, so much, although it wasn't "bad". I didn't have any Maker's on-hand, so I used 2 oz of Weller's 107, 2 quick shakes of bitters and about 3/4 oz of sweet vermouth, stirred with ice and strained over a maraschino cherry. I guess the vermouth might have smoothed the bourbon a little bit, but it really din't seem like much to me. It was just kind of... blah.

Then I decided to make some Long Island Iced Tea. I got on a kick with this sometime last year, but haven't made it since. Now there are a million ways to make this, but the generally consistent theme was equal parts gin, white rum, silver tequila and vodka. Only white rum I had on hand was Bacardi Limon. I used gold Camarena Reposado tequila instead of the Cuervo silver I have had in there forever, because this is what we've started making margaritas with and we like it a ton better. Tito's vodka, my new fav - better than Goose, Chopin, whatever. The wife convinced me that we didn't like it with the gin last time, that we substituted whiskey. I couldn't remember, so I took her advice. Then most recipes call for either a bit of sweet & sour or some Triple Sec or something, along with a splash of cola. I make my own sweet & sour, so I had to do that, as we were out. Thank God the winter is ending, we haven't been able to get decent limes for months, but now they're starting to get much larger and sweeter. Makes for much better sweet & sour mix.

So anyways, we didn't have any Coke, we mainly keep diet soda around. I tried mine with a splash of Diet Dr. Pepper. Hers she wanted with Diet Mug Root Beer. Let's just say the root beer did not mix well with that setup. Not well. Mine was better, but overall, it wasn't as good as I remember it being last time I made it - the Long Island, that is. I did find a recipe later that substituted 1/2 of the gin with whiskey. Maybe the fact I used a stronger whiskey (107 proof) with a stronger flavor might have influenced it too much, maybe the gold tequila, maybe the citrus rum along with too much sweet & sour mix, I dunno. It just wasn't "right"... I think too much citrus, which is why I suspect the rum and the mixer were too much. The wife made another after she tossed the first one with a higher-end orange liqueur we picked up, not Grand Marnier which is what I like, but something new we decided to try, better than plain ol' Triple Sec. That was a much better combo, but I was pretty hashed by then, so who knows. She did say it was a lot better and she wasn't in my shape, so she was a more reliable witness.

So that was last night's adventure for me... a little disappointing mix, but as I told her, after the first one, it mattered a lot less. lol ;)

So let's post up some preferences, some recipes, some suggestions. I'm up for some new drinks, but it's so hard to just dig through the millions online and figure out what you think you'd like. I've tried martinis multiple times - dry, sweet, dirty, plain, etc. I just can't get into them with gin OR vodka. I guess the dirty ones I can stand the best, with a couple of olives. Dry is definitely NOT my taste. Although maybe now that I've discovered Tito's, I should try one again. Gimlets didn't impress me, either.

I'm usually into single malt Scotch, neat. Highlands, not Islays. And it seems I usually like those whiskey-based drinks, not super-sweet, etc. I don't do daiquiris, coladas, and all that junk. Margaritas, yes. Especially my own. I might post my margarita recipe later, as well as the sweet & sour mix. There is NO replacement for homemade mixer, I tell ya. None. Store-bought stuff is SH|T.

Anyways, there we go.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Silver Tequila is bottled directly from the vat,,,
There is no aging involved at all.

This doesn't mean it's harsh or bad,,,
But it will almost always be sharper in taste.

A truly fine silver is Maestro Dobel.

Reposado means rested. This Tequila is aged for at least three months in wood barrels,,,
Typically it will have a very slight color from the wood.

A very good reposado is Hussongs.

Anejo is aged in wood barrels for at least one year,,,
It will have the most flavor of the cactus juices,,,
And a bit more yellow color than reposado.

My favorite Anejo is Heradura.

The Mexican government owns the copyright on the word Tequila,,,
And they regulate how it's used very carefully.

By Mexican law, if a Tequila has the word gold in the name (such as Quervo Gold),,,
That means it has had caramel added to give it the look of an Anejo tequila.

Recently the government allowed the name Tequila to be used in flavored Tequilas,,,
Avion makes excellent Silver, Reposado, and Anejo Tequilas,,,
They also make Avion Espresso which is coffee flavored.

That stuff, in my not-so-humble opinion,,,
Is true Nectar of the Gods.

Patron also makes an espresso but it costs twice what the Avion does,,,
And quite frankly isn't worth the price difference.

Patron tastes great but not great enough to justify the much higher prices.

Even more recently some distillers have been using used whiskey barrels to age their Tequila,,,
An excellent example is Hornitos Black Barrel Tequila,,,
It definitely has a whiskey tinge to it's taste.

I don't know whether this is gospel truth or not,,,
But a liquor distributor told me they use old Jack Daniels barrels.

I've only recently discovered the concept of Sippin' Tequila,,,
Up to then I thought that Jose Quervo was supposed to be "the good stuff".

I started going to Mexico Joe's in Stillwater about 2 years ago,,,
They have a Tequila bar with (at the time) 31 flavors,,,
They were the Baskin-Robbins of Cactus Juice.

A friend offered to buy me a shot of Hussongs Reposado,,,
I said okay because a free shot is, well, free.

I started to do the salt and lime thing,,,
He gave me the evil eye and said to stop,,,
"This is sippin' Tequila " he said, so I tried it neat but chilled.

The clouds parted and I was amazed,,,
Tequila isn't rot gut liquor at all,,,
Cheap Tequila (Quervo) is.

If you are ever in Stillwater, stop in at Mexico Joe's and try a shot of something nice,,,
Don't be shocked by the $5.50 to $6.50 price though,,,
All Tequila shots are a measured two ounces.

That's several good sips of agave goodness,,,
Order it "Naked and Shivering",,,
Neat and chilled.

Tell them Aarond sent you,,,
It won't lower your tab by even a penny,,,
But they will know I sent you and you'll be well taken care of.

Aarond

P.S. An interesting fact is that recently a team of Mexican scientists discovered that you can turn Tequila into diamonds,,,
They do it by superheating the Tequila and letting the gas cool on stainless steel plates,,,
This produces a molecular film of high quality industrial diamonds.

Apparently Tequila has the ideal carbon to water ration for this process,,,
Other liquors such as Vodka and Whiskey can be used,,,
But their diamonds are inferior quality.

What I wanna know is,,,
How much Tequila did those scientists have to drink,,,
Before one said to the other, "Hey, I wonder if we can turn this stuff into diamonds?"

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried Manhattans about a dozen times with various combinations of deferent bourbons and vermouths. Never could cotton to them. Not ALL the time, but most of the time they remind me vaguely of furniture polish. I'm not a big cocktail enthusiast usually preferring various whiskeys neat, with a splash or on ice. Just depends on what is in the glass. However, I really like a well made rye Old Fashioned. It has a cleaner, lighter and brighter taste than a Manhattan. But hey, everyone is entitled to a preference.

One thing I did learn. The vermouth used, of which there are many kinds, has a big impact on the Manhattan even though very little is used. Some are very dry, some are sweet and some have an herb-like medicine tone to them almost like bitters. Gosh darn it, you'll just have to keep on trying and experimenting. :)

Also, I agree with GMThunder. That's a serious load of vermouth. Try using half that, maybe less.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Baron Samedi is the Voodoo God of Zombies,,,
Drink a few of these and you will definitely be zombified.

il_214x170.812839681_6had.jpg

1 oz - Meyers dark rum
4-6 oz - Dr Pepper

Now the weird thing about this drink is,,,
It's good either on the rocks,,,
Or hot (like coffee hot).

Back in the 60's Dr. Pepper tried a new marketing campaign,,,
They advertised it as a steaming hot after ski drink,,,
It never caught on but many years ago,,,
In an act of desperation we tried it.

All we had was a half bottle of Meyers Dark Rum and a liter of Dr. Pepper,,,
I remembered the old commercials so I nuked some Dr. Pepper,,,
Danged if it didn't turn out to be a decent drink.

If you serve it cold garnish it with a squeezed quarter lime.

If you serve it hot the lime works but a cinnamon stick is even better.

In the absence of Meyers you can use Captain Morgan's or Sailor Jerry's spiced rum,,,
But the best way to make a bad one is to use clear Bacardi rum,,,
It just doesn't cut through the Dr. Pepper very well.

Enjoy,,,

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ridge, I picked up a bottle of Tennessee High West just now. Debated about the double rye, but passed for my first attempt.

Heading out to a cooking class at the moment, I'll try the rye when I get home. Empanadas tonight! :D

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you like tequila...I highly recommend El Jimador!!!!

australianbartender.com.au_wp_content_uploads_2013_07_el_jimador_range.jpg

MY all time....numero uno....main man drink:

Sazarec

What you need........Rye Whiskey(Sazerac) a decent brand...I use Bulleit when I'm out if Sazerac Rye.

Absinthe or Hebsaint

Bitters....I use the original....Peychaud's but I'm sure any regular bitters would do.

Cubed....Sonic drive in type ice or small cubed ice.

Cube of sugar........some people use simple syrup...I use the cube.

2 low boy or rocks glasses

lemon wedge(very thin) or lemon zest.....I usually squeeze the zest oil into the drink and around the rim...throw away...not in the drink

Instead of me typing out the recipe...here's a little video...............................................Cheers...:sunbath:

Sazerac accessories...........https://thesazeracgiftshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=c49b9dd8af44fc07c241acd8a229c4d4

You know...........this is a New Orleans drink....Soooooooooo...when you drink one of these..ya gotta listen to a little music.

Last edited by a moderator:

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old Fashion was my favorite for a while. Lately i've leaned towards a simple version, orange peel, bitters, simple and a good bourbon over a large cube. Very nice.

If i'm drinking several i'll often go for jamieson and ginger ale with a splash of lime.

Pimms cup in the summer is always refreshing.

Discovered a Vieux Carre recently. Probably not what i'd drink every night, but very nice.

We've also been enjoying a simple cocktail we've modified to our tastes. Titos vodka and seltzer (about half and half), splash of cranberry and some lime. It's not as sweet as a cap code, but the cran gives it a hint of flavor and plays well with the lime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom