The new Christian Forum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What is it about a religious thread/category that tends to draw all the non-believers to comment? Could it be that in their subliminal minds they really want to be converted, but are afraid to express that out in the open? If they don't care for religious topics and categories, why are they over here on one talking about a Christian category? I thought that the General Discussions forum would be enough for the "godless."

You ever seen a train wreck?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, the insults come from both sides. I think it's intellectually dishonest to believe one side behaves better than the other. Humans are human and emotional issues can make for heated debate verbal trout slapping.

Additionally, I think that, in general, everyone has handled the religious threads well, in that arguments/attacks were on ideas, not people.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One problem with the Christian forum is going to be deciding who is a Christian.

If you say, "Anyone who says they are", that isn't going to fly. Moderators are going to have to discriminate:ooh2::ooh2:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is it about a religious thread/category that tends to draw all the non-believers to comment? Could it be that in their subliminal minds they really want to be converted, but are afraid to express that out in the open?

I think most non-believers, at least those who grew up in an environment where that is the norm, wanted to believe and simply couldn't.

My girlfriend remembers hating herself as a kid because god seemed to speak to all her relatives and not her. She thought she was bad or something was wrong with her. Nowadays said relatives are what I call "Sheetmetal Christians" (those are Christians who attend mega churches, which are often built in the manner of pole barns, warehouses, or livestock arenas) where they regularly speak in tongues.

Now, are these people actually being moved to speak in tongues by some intangible force known only to people who have been baptized, or are they nutjobs?

Most people don't sit around wanting to deny the existence of god out of bitterness or spite. In fact, most of them spend their childhood wondering why they don't "get it", so to speak. Most remember being 5,8,10, 12 years old and trying and trying to make themselves be something they just weren't. Any bitterness they may have could likely be explained by being made to feel as though something is wrong with them during their formative years.

6 Strings

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Actually, the insults come from both sides. I think it's intellectually dishonest to believe one side behaves better than the other. Humans are human and emotional issues can make for heated debate verbal trout slapping.

Coming from the guy who two minutes after posting this called people (Seventh Day Adventists) "delusional". Thanks for proving my point.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think most non-believers, at least those who grew up in an environment where that is the norm, wanted to believe and simply couldn't.

My girlfriend remembers hating herself as a kid because god seemed to speak to all her relatives and not her. She thought she was bad or something was wrong with her. Nowadays said relatives are what I call "Sheetmetal Christians" (those are Christians who attend mega churches, which are often built in the manner of pole barns, warehouses, or livestock arenas) where they regularly speak in tongues.

Now, are these people actually being moved to speak in tongues by some intangible force known only to people who have been baptized, or are they nutjobs?

Most people don't sit around wanting to deny the existence of god out of bitterness or spite. In fact, most of them spend their childhood wondering why they don't "get it", so to speak. Most remember being 5,8,10, 12 years old and trying and trying to make themselves be something they just weren't. Any bitterness they may have could likely be explained by being made to feel as though something is wrong with them during their formative years.

Well stated. It wasn't until after my deconversion that I fully understood that belief isn't a switch we can flip on or off at will. Of course, this causes serious complications for a religious system that rewards and punishes based on belief...

But yes, it does bad things to the kids who just "don't get it." They feel ignored, rejected, broken, unimportant, unloved etc... All because they don't feel like they have that connection to God that their friends and family claim to have and they do sincerely want it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this similar to the people who feel the need to ask if something they just met have accepted Jesus as their lord and savior? Seems like both sides want to preach to the other at the drop of a hat.

Actually, you won't hear that from me because "accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior" isn't enough. According to the Bible, there are six things one must do for salvation, not just "accepting Jesus."

Latest posts

Top Bottom