The S&W M76 The forgotten great 9mm SMG.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did't photo copy the full SOF Article but i am sure you wiil understand from what did copy, this small SMG was and still is a really great weapon.

Our Military at the DOD level were deep into the M16 and did not want this small new weapon, even as it was tested many time's even in combat and by both are troops in Vietnam and the Navy Seals in their tough testing.

This little SMG proved many times it was truly a good tool i have never read where it failed, the Police wanted it but they don't have the buying power needed it really needed our DOD and they were not there with the large contract's.

What do you forum readers think?

Attachments

• S&W M76 9mm SMG.jpg.JPG
    S&W M76 9mm SMG.jpg.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 26
  • Smith-Wesson-M76.jpg
    Smith-Wesson-M76.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 0

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember reading about the M76. Its design characteristics, pistol grip at the rear, magazine well forward of the trigger guard, 9MM chambering, thirty round straight mag, remind me of the WWII German Smeisser? (Erma) MP40. The M76s’ roundish, tubular receiver also seems similar to our army’s M3 “greasegun”. Maybe it never caught on, got huge DOD contract orders because the “fix” wasn’t in. The right politician didn’t get “greased” by a lobbyist. Or other gun companies undermined S&W. Queered the deal, for them.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The general design does look similar to a MP40 but, that is where it ends. About every part on an MP40 is machined out of solid metal and they are heavy for their size. I have shot one a few years ago. A three round burst is almost impossible because they cycle pretty fast. This S&W looks to be made from mostly stamped out parts which is a plus if you have to lug it around all day. I think years ago Ruger had a small SMG also.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember reading about the M76. Its design characteristics, pistol grip at the rear, magazine well forward of the trigger guard, 9MM chambering, thirty round straight mag, remind me of the WWII German Smeisser? (Erma) MP40. The M76s’ roundish, tubular receiver also seems similar to our army’s M3 “greasegun”. Maybe it never caught on, got huge DOD contract orders because the “fix” wasn’t in. The right politician didn’t get “greased” by a lobbyist. Or other gun companies undermined S&W. Queered the deal, for them.
It is a licenced copy of the Swedish Carl Gustof SMG.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_m/45

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the “Knochensäge”—“bone saw” in English.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/mg-42-machine-gun
Our War Department back then had a film made to help our fighting men the M42s bark was worse then it's bite, yeah so much for trying i must say.

The film’s narrator further assures his naïve audience that the MG-42 isn’t as scary as it sounds, and closes with, “Its bark is worse than its bite.” The War Department would have had a pretty tough time selling that line to veterans of the landing at Omaha Beach.

In English Germany is truly your friend.

Attachments

• German Military PosterWWII.jpg
    German Military PosterWWII.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look like typical smith and Wesson quality.
I remember people saying some of the same things about the AKs when they went from Forged and Milled Steel to stamped sheet metal.

Not only was the AK a lot less weight to carry it cost less to Mfg. but still did a great job of killing.

If you read the full Article on the S&W M76 you find there was no failures of any welds or did this S&W SMG ever have a failure in firing so it's Mfg. was never a S&W quality issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom