The skinny on HID headlights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My new mustang has them from the factory and I have a love/hate opinion on them. I love the level of brightness when driving at night. The down side is that I get hit with bright lights from at least 8 out of 10 cars that pass at night. The only part that bugs me about that is, I know some night some jackass is going to throw something out the window as they pass because they think I'm bright lighting them.

Sounds like you are aware of a problem that needs to be corrected.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to what pbamble post it was just one companies conversion that wasn't up to par
that's not the case. all conversions are illegal. you are allowed to install HID headlights, but not convert non-HID housings to HID lighting.

from SEMA:
NHTSA has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The noncompliant kits frequently include an HID bulb, ballast, igniter, relay and wiring harness adapters. NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800 percent.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you are aware of a problem that needs to be corrected.

Already taken it back to the dealer and they put some gadget on it and the headlights are in perfect alignment.

The beam hits about even with the front bumper of incoming vehicles and you can clearly see the cutoff line. Not much else I can do.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya, it is important that you aim them just right, but when you do they rarely bother people. I was having people flashing brights at me here and there til I took the time to get them right now hardly anyone one ever does.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is representative of the desired cutoff. If the LED option doesn't produce a cutoff extremely similar to this, you are doing your fellow drivers a huge disservice.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom