The Stupidity of "Buy American:" The Case Against Economic Protectionism

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okyite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you buy Made In USA you keep an American workers working, if you buy made in china you keep chinese workers working. I Buy Made In USA, the job I save maybe yours.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toyota doesn't make muscle cars and my Shelby GT500 was assembled in Flat Rock, Michigan.

i46.photobucket.com_albums_f104_OKC03Cobra_20100917_1.jpg

Toyota doesn't make muscle cars, but Nissan does:

www.blogcdn.com_www.autoblog.com_media_2011_02_10_2012_nissan_gt_r_fd_opt2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNT2UijpCMs

Speed does cost money. It just depends on how fast you want to go. The GT-R is the biggest bang for the buck production car in the world. You can go faster, but it will cost you exponentially more.

OKC03Cobra

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toyota doesn't make muscle cars, but Nissan does:

www.blogcdn.com_www.autoblog.com_media_2011_02_10_2012_nissan_gt_r_fd_opt2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNT2UijpCMs

Speed does cost money. It just depends on how fast you want to go. The GT-R is the biggest bang for the buck production car in the world. You can go faster, but it will cost you exponentially more.

That's not a muscle car; it's a sports car. Nice try though.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Toyota doesn't make muscle cars and my Shelby GT500 was assembled in Flat Rock, Michigan.

i46.photobucket.com_albums_f104_OKC03Cobra_20100917_1.jpg

That's a nice ride, no doubt. But not really the point I was trying to make.

Until last month (where Domestic brands increases sales, and foreign brands slid due to continued parts shortages) Toyota has been increasing its US workforce while domestic companes had been decreasing. I'm not arguing the politics of Buy American, but the facts are that the Japanese and Koreand Korean car sales may well put more more money into the American workers' pockets than the Domestic marques.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you buy Made In USA you keep an American workers working, if you buy made in china you keep chinese workers working. I Buy Made In USA, the job I save maybe yours.

True all else being equal but all else isn't equal.

American workers are already the most productive in the world and produce high quality products - unfortunately at a very high cost.
Until Joe Sixpack who sits on an assembly line pushing the same button or screwing in the same screw all day starts earning what Jose Sixpack in Mexico or Jo Sixpack in Korea or Chou SixPack in China earns it will cost more to buy American.

Simple economics.

Using more advanced economics - indifference theory has proven over and over again that it is human nature to fill one's shopping basket with as much stuff as one can and that boils down to price, need, want and quality as the prime factors that go into choosing what's gonna be put into that basket.

Just using Walmart and OSA as an example theres a lot of hand wring about that store but many if not most here still shop there and there isn't a whole lot there that is made or grown in America available for purchase. Say what you will but Americans who buy foreign are making rational economic choices.

Want folks to buy American - then Americans have to produce products that can compete in both price and quality that satisfy needs, wants or both.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be the odd-duck OSA'er then. I have not set foot into a Wal*Mart since March of 2003.

Right now it's pretty close to impossible to buy American 100% of the time. Sadly it's our own cheap nature nurtured by advertisers telling us all day long their store is cheaper. "Cheap is good" is the message implied.

I'm sickened by all of it. The way I see it these days is most people do not have the earning power to buy as much as they had before the 'global economy' came into existence. Most people have no choice but to buy that cheap-assed item made in (insert third world county here)

Bah I'm going to STFU now. I'm really not in the mood to get my blood pressure up.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Muscle car? Speed limit is 70 mph in Oklahoma. What's the point? I'd rather have somethin' that got me better MPG so I can spend that money on somethin' I can really use....

Latest posts

Top Bottom