The Stupidity of "Buy American:" The Case Against Economic Protectionism

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't disagree with you, although the American company is battling an -unfair- fight.

I agree that there are alot of factors other than wages that are to blame for drastically higher prices. But theres no reason assembly line workers should get paid the way they do. Minimum wage is $2 higher than it should be as well.

But on the flip side, I havent met a customer yet that would pay more for a bid job because I used domestic materials/parts. It doesnt happen. Americans want it both ways and you cant have it both ways. Either buy American, and pay more and get less, or buy foreign and get more for less.....which is what the OP's article is basically saying.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They aren't all based on the Chevy small block.

2009 was the last season where the spec was open enough to be based on anything else. Even then, the Fords were the only ones that were similar to anything other than Chevy from 2006 through 2009, and in that particular case they were a hybrid of Windsors and Clevelands.

In 2010, the spec was tightened up significantly to the point where some of the smaller teams were running $100K crates and still able to be decently competitive. The current spec uses the best traits from the previous Chevy, Ford, Dodge, and Toyota engines, but the majority of what is in the spec is from the Chevy engine (specifically the R07). But the teams do have a certain level of freedom keeping it from being a pure spec engine, and each make tends to trend different way because of manufacturer-level R&D.

But if you want the best of the best of the best, you'll just go buy a Hendrick-built engine with a technical support contract.

Latest posts

Top Bottom