The ZIP gun.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rakkal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it's been posted before but the forum was two years old. Well, I just got one for 133 plus tax so I figure I'd help others out with this...odd little thing! The reputation is incredibly poor on this thing so let's see if it's deserved. A small background of myself, active duty USAF but a collector of primary old guns. Large selection of milsurp bolt actions and revolvers, and I have stuff from 1889 up to, well, today. I reload because the old ammo some of these guns are very old, and expensive. And no longer made! I've also brought multiple revolvers back to life from being a ziploc baggy full of parts.

Out of the box, very neat. I got the coyote with the 1.0.1 upgrade installed from the factory. While signing the papers I had two people come and ask me what the hell that thing was! So anyway, I read the manual online before I came and packed me up some CCI Mini Mags which are one of the highly recommended ammo types. Also brought some GECO and sniper sub sonic from federal, because why not? It was factory loaded with the target springs, came with a spare set for higher velocity ammo.

images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_08_28_bed7fb1ee427d04c90d9e89cb767e7fd.jpg

Loaded up my mag (official ruger 10/22 BX-1 10 round) with CCI Mini Mag. It took longer than I care to admit for me to figure out the 10/22 mag but I have never operated one before! Anyway, got it in the gun, and pulled the load bar back. Safety off, pulled the trigger and it went bang. Pulled it again about 4 more times until a click...first mag had 2 or 3 failures to eject. Half load of sniper subsonic had one fail, and the GECO took it out of action by a fail to eject and stayed in the barrel. It is the semi auto ammo, which I have had issues in the past with my beretta neos. Sad and defeated, a brought the thing home. Cleared the empty shell out and swapped out to the higher strength springs and looked at the internals. The manual says to not lubricate, so I didnt...

Round 2 will be CCI Mini Mags with the high velocity springs. I will likely get some CCI standard velocity and Fiochi high velocity to test it out next and see if I can get this thing into gear.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought i wanted one of them when they first came out but after holding it and getting a closeup look at it decided there was other things better bought with my money and passed on getting it.

rakkal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel like the first impression quality is decent. It is very odd, I'll give you that! I figured if it doesn't work, it'll be a curio one day. I think it's actually very clever, just poor execution...

And yes, charge and clear are the same places unfortunately. I do kind of get the why, and you can get a suppressor compatible barrel to increase the length. In the manual it actually tells you to tactically one hand reload...by using a boot or something and pushing down. However, if I am unable to use my left arm and only have this thing? I have REALLY screwed up

rakkal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Round 2!

Changed out the springs to the heavier high velocity ones and threw some CCI Mini Mags in it. Significant improvement, failure rate dropped tremendously! four or five mags and I had about three or four issues. The first one was the first time the springs ever had been used, second and third mag went without issue save one I believe didn't eject right. fourth had another eject fail and the fifth was fine. Overall, I would say passable for a $133 gun. After I break it in more, who knows!

Latest posts

Top Bottom