Thinking about a 22 bolt action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, for giggles a while back I put a nice little suppressor on one of my 10/22s and put some subsonic thru it.

Not enough power to cycle the bolt, but I kinda knew that going into it.

Talk about quiet!!! Seriously, the impact slap was louder than the firing.

Got me thinking about getting a dedicated .22 bolt action.
Never have been a fan of bolt actions, but I think to give this the best "quiet" I can get, this is the way to go.

So....

Recommendations on a good, accurate .22 bolt action?

Thanks in advance.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
1632802494778.png

Savage MKII FV-SR .22 LR Threaded Barrel​

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can not help you with the best to get or silencers, but I think every gun owner should have a 22 bolt gun or some type manual action. Same for a 22 revolver. Just in case things get bad and you can not be choosy about your ammo.

If I already had a 10/22, I would look to see if there is a bolt gun that uses some of the same parts.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I inherited my first two bolt action .22's from the FIL this summer. One is a single shot, and the other is a mag fed model. Both pretty much worn out wood wise. They did shoot pretty good though in a single test. Put Into the back of the gun safe after a cleaning and lube, likely never fired again. One is the ugliest .22 rifle I've ever seen. It was FIL rifle when he was raised in the hills of Tennessee. Hand made scope mounts braised to the receiver with an original K4 weaver scope that has the actual wires and no nitrogen internally. It's pretty cloudy looking through the scope, but FIL said that was their food gun for the most part being raised in the hills of Tennessee. His dad never filed for taxes because he never had a job that required it. Made moonshine, cash jobs, traded or bartered for everything. He had a rough life growing up.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty good one. If I wanted to spend more money, a threaded CZ would be on my short list.
With the CZ 457, the barrels are interchangeable so you could have a threaded barrel, an unthreaded barrel, and just for fun barrels in .22 mag and .17 hmr.

The Ruger uses the same magazines as the 10/22. I sold a .22 mag several months ago, and it was pretty accurate for the money.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger, savage or CZ don’t think you would regret either. The ruger is going g to have more aftermarket support but does that really matter on a bolt action?

If your not going to shoot it a bunch just use your thumb to hold the bolt shut on the auto you already have (I’m assuming you have something like a 10/22) You’d be surprised how little effort it takes

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI CCI Standard Velocity is subsonic and will cycle your 10/22

Since you already have a 10/22, the Ruger American and Precision both use 10/22 mags that are quality mags and abundant....especially if you already have some.

Savage mags suck. I'd avoid those like the plague personally.

Latest posts

Top Bottom