Thinking about getting into reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swapwap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, with the new world of ammo, guns and democrats I am thinking about getting into hand loading. I've got about $500 in gift cards for cabalas so that should get me started right?

First I want to do rifle loads, .308 Winchester and then .223. Both are for my AR's

So, my question is, what do I need to get to get started?

Also, I've read that .308 win and 7.62 Nato (military version of the 308 Win) are the same and ive read they are different. The 7.62x39mm look like they should use the same30 caliber bullets but is it true the 7.62x39mm round uses a bullet with a width of 0.310" and not 0.30 as the Winchester?

Also, how many times can you reuse brass?

Thanks...

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dont get discouraged presses are available . you just have to look harder for the bullets , primer, and powder check gene sears , j &k and h&h .for presses look at natchez and there is a place in kansas. i think it is powder valley. componets will become easier to find.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you 4 years ago.
I wanted something stout in a press. So it was either the rock chucker or the Lee classic cast.
I got the lee..I like the way it primes cases better..USA made
I went with Lee dies..Although that is preference...I was given some Rcbs stuff and Made in mexico on the box earked me.
It ain't all made here....

That lee classic cast is all i have used in that 4 years and 1000's of rounds loaded and still like new.
Gene sears is where i get powder and bullets most of the time..Primers from him all the time.

So a press
some dies
case trimmers..I got the lee
Need to get a tool to chamfer the inside and outside of case mouths.
Some dial calipers to measure cases etc.
I would also suggest some imperial sizing die wax.
I got an rcbs neck turner..
Best results with that came from MY 30-30 shooting cast bullets of all things.

Some of the barrels of the 7.62x39 will measure .311" or larger..
Slugging the bore will tell the truth.
I would get a universal primer decapper die..
That should get you started..Besides the componets to make it go bang.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i second the lee stuff. either the classis "O" press or the classic turret. no need to spend a boatload of cash up front. can't tell you many times i've seen dusty presses sitting on a work bench. when asked the person says "i thought it was something i wanted to do, but its not for me" if you like it, there will be plenty of time to upgrade and spend more money! i've been reloading on some level or another for over 25 years. the classic turret for pistol and the O press for rifle/hunting loads works fine for me.
i can crank out a box of pistol ammo in about 15 minutes not hurried, for about $2.65 a box(cast my own)
best of luck on your new addiction and if you need some help setting up, let me know

Swapwap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hornady lock and load ap? Anyone using this? I've read stronger reviews on this than any other. I definitely want to get a progressive so any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well, with the new world of ammo, guns and democrats i am thinking about getting into hand loading. I've got about $500 in gift cards for cabalas so that should get me started right?

First i want to do rifle loads, .308 winchester and then .223. Both are for my ar's

so, my question is, what do i need to get to get started?
press, dies, shell holder, scale, primers, powder, bullets, and loading manual, a caliper( I use a Lee dial caliper about 30 bucks), a shell trimmer is not necessary at first but will be needed eventually. Oh and plan for several hours to get started

Also, i've read that .308 win and 7.62 nato (military version of the 308 win) are the same and ive read they are different. The 7.62x39mm look like they should use the same30 caliber bullets but is it true the 7.62x39mm round uses a bullet with a width of 0.310" and not 0.30 as the winchester?
.308 and 7.62 NATO are not the same the NATO is shorter but not enough to make a difference, the difference is in pressures the NATO will be higher pressures because they normally operate auto/semi-auto firearms do not fire 7.62 NATO in a barrel marked .308. same with 223 if the barrel is marked 223 do not fire 5.56 NATO in it pressures there can run up to 20,000 higher the .308 can be fired in a 7.62 NATO and the 223 can be fired in the 5.56x45 NATO though. As for the 7.62x39 most firearms that fire that cartridge are not designed for accuracy(not saying all) therefore they are not very careful when producing them and barrels range greatly

also, how many times can you reuse brass?
Depending on how much you have to size them, how hot your loads are, is the brass annealed (for 223 in most cases this will double the life of the cases) to anneal the cases take a torch that will stay on without a button to hold down set it on the ground, hold the case at a 45 degree angle to the flame with the primer to the rear of the flame (to not burn your fingers) slowly turn the shell until you see it turn colors (kinda looks like a wave moving down the shell when it happens) or until you can't hang onto it anymore some people say to drop them in a bucket of water, personally I drop them on concrete and dip my fingers in the bucket. I have not been able to tell the difference between dropped in water and not other than you have to dry out the ones that you drop in water which if you are wanting to load them soon afterwords can be a problem.

Thanks...

it is tons of fun and very rewording if done correctly :D

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the LNL AP, I like it. Once dialed in it works great. Added a case and bullet feeder to really maximize production time. Hornady customer service has been great, I had a small issue and they sent parts out right away. Added bonus (if promo is still going on) is free bullets with purchasing press dies etc.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome to the dark craft. It hooked me many years ago as a boy.

Get a book and read it a couple times. Make sure you can concentrate on what you're doing, easy to make a bad mistake.

As for how many reloads? Well depends on a couple things. Mostly how hot your running them. Do a little online search for case failures. Bulges and cracks are the usual signs. Rifle brass seems to have a shorter life.

Latest posts

Top Bottom