Thinking about getting into reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swapwap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great guys. I think I have some good stuff to work with. It's a project so I am not getting everything at once, especially brass and bullets, They are out of site right now.... I have enough regular loads to get me through the ammo drought we are currently in. I quit investing in gold and silver for brass and lead awhile back.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I found a really good site that this guy demonstrated the top 4 major brands. It was very helpful as well. Pm me if you want it and ill send it to any interested.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start by getting set up for the one you shoot the most. Get a good manual or two or three and read and cross referance everthing you read. Youtube has how to stuff. You won't make a big mistake by buying any common brand of press. Lee, RCBS,Lyman,Hornady, Dillon, are all good and all of them have multiple choices of quality and features. That really makes choosing harder, but you can't hardly make a bad choice.

Start with lower priced stuff and see if you will like it. If you like reloading you can upgrade. Even if you upgrade it is good to have more than one press if they are not the same type. A single stage and a progressive is a good combo to have on your bench. Picking a good spot in your home to reload is important too. Use a quiet place with no distractions so you can keep your focus. Good luck!!!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Do you shoot those rounds slow fire, for precision, or do you load up a bunch of mags and blast it away?

The answer will change what advice you need.

If you get a single stage, get one with quick change bushings, like the Hornady Lock n Load, or the Lee Breechlock. That will dramatically reduce your cycle time when loading. Having to set up the dies again each time you change both increases time, AND the chances of setting it up wrong.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you live in Edmond, come by and (wait for it.... almost shameless plug) see me or Tim at Heartland. Note, we will bash the Lee stuff. So, if you are a cheap old white guy... well. Wait, that's why we reload! Seriously, at least talk to Tim or myself and maybe we can help you determine whether or not you want to even do it. A year from now, when ammo comes back online, there will be plenty of used equipment out there.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you live in Edmond, come by and (wait for it.... almost shameless plug) see me or Tim at Heartland. Note, we will bash the Lee stuff. So, if you are a cheap old white guy... well. Wait, that's why we reload! Seriously, at least talk to Tim or myself and maybe we can help you determine whether or not you want to even do it. A year from now, when ammo comes back online, there will be plenty of used equipment out there.

+1 hoov helped me get set up and I have asked him some questions about adding additional equip and always gotten straight forward honest answers. Good guy that won't feed you bs just to make a sale. I really haven't saved much money but I've gotten to shoot 2-3 times as much for the same money. I primarily load precision rifle but lately have loaded quite a bit of "practice" .223. And if you are meticulous and attentive and have the time then reloading is defiantly worth it. The crazies will slow down in the panic buying soon or run out of money and the manufactures of both components and loaded ammo will catch up. But I think it'll take a bit. As far as equipment goes do not skimp on the powder measure or scale and as far as presses go if primarily loading rifle go with a single stage. If primarily handgun then look at a turret style or a progressive but to start out I don't recommend a progressive. The Lyman universal case trimmer has served me well. No shell holders to jack with and simple to use and repeatable. I prefer a dial caliper and beam scale Also. I still check every charge even with an electronic powder dispenser on a rcbs beam scale. I use corncob media with a scoop of nufinish car polish and some dryer sheets to help with the dust. Dies I've used all that I can think of except Lyman. Have more redding and lee than anything else. I prefer a hand prime also. And a case prep center is nice but not needed. And I've got about 6 manuals if you are going to limit yourself to one manufacture then buy that one I use several different brands of bullets so I need more manuals. Also I'd suggest the abc's of reloading it covers some stuff you prob won't need especially starting out but is a good wealth of knowledge nun the less. If you are good at following directions without much "self creativity" then you will love a new. Rewarding hobby. And don't hesitate to ask questions even if they seem stupid at first because you will be creating a controlled explosion next to your face and hands every time you fire a reload. It will also increase your familiarity with your firearms and ballistic capabilities. Hope this helps but go hit up hoov at heartland and see what he can tell you.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a good market for used reloading equipment?

yes,can't tell you how much i've made from garage sale finds that went on ebay. even the old, seemingly unusable stuff has a collector following. sometimes i can make more off the old junk!

Stackle2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same story here, mostly. Looking to get back into reloading after about 10 years away from it. This time looking for a turrent system, only loading handgun ammo, and don't want to break the bank. Any suggestions for locating used equipment?

Latest posts

Top Bottom