This is just an observation; granted its probably viewed as completely racist.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Since I read all of that I guess I will make a comment. When I worked for Flemming Foods about 10 years ago, we had a group of Lumpers (those who the truck drivers paid to unload when they themselves were suppose to unload). These lumpers happened to be Mexicans and they were not Flemming employees, just paid by the truckers. They would all arrive in a compact car and pile out one after another, but they were the hardest working people in that warehouse. That is just one example out of many I will bring up so I don't no where it came from that they are lazy, because I don't see it, I just hope they are legally here.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am sorry that it can be thought of as a blanket statement, but I assure you, his was bot an occasional thing, these samples and experiences are ongoing for 18 years, 12 of which while I have been first hand. I also stated that there are occasions where the opposite is true. I am not trying to speak to cause drama, I though this would say somethings about the work mentality of a classification of people that I would classify as temporarily employed, and the observation of their work habits. Note these are not illegals, I am not sure these service can hire out illegals.

I ment nothing negative and I stick to my words that I have done nothing negative. Sorry if you felt otherwise.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks Dennis, I tossed the idea around when I was 16, but took a trip to the Shriners hospital and cemented my desire for my lifes goals and trying to do that I fear would pull me too close to being able to settle and abandon my goals; for what it's worth when I am successful in my career, taking care oft parents is my first priorities.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, you're close, but wrong. The difference is in the culture and not the race. You will see harder work out of someone raised in the old school Mexican culture than you will out of someone raised in the modern American culture almost every single time. People either get butthurt at that statement, or "offended" by it. Those people are sheltered and/or ballless.

Pretty much every person I grew up around was a contractor, sub, or tradesmen. I've been around/worked with Mexicans my entire life. My old next door neighbor was a Mexican immigrant (legal) that came here and started a business, just living next to them was a huge insight into Mexican culture. I was my own builder when I built my house; I've seen all this stuff first hand my entire life. I don't see why it's "inappropriate" to observe cultural differences.

It's a difference in cultural norms/values, not a difference in skin color. But there IS a HUGE difference, and to deny that is ridiculous, borderline retarded behavior if you ask me. (Louis CK quote).

ETA: Here is another "blanket sterotype". Most every Mexican you meet will either be Roman Catholic, or were raised Roman Catholic. An alternate definition of "blanket stereotype" is "the truth". Cultural differences: They exist, and admitting that does not necessarily make one a racist. Oh, and their diet is different than the French and Israelis. Is that racist?

Oh, and I've worked with Vietnamese people too. Absolutely no difference in Vietnamese culture and American culture. If you think there is, you are a bigot. (Comic sans for sarcasm)

Last edited:

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
amedia.tumblr.com_tumblr_lehez85d0b1qdlkgg.gif

(I had edited it in right before you posted that)

lol, damn, just a little too slow...

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Illegals will work their ass off, because they are illegal and want to stay under the radar, that makes them apealing to employers.

Gonna have to disagree with this one, I spent some time waaaay out in the Chihuahua desert rebuilding some old missions (ironic that we had crossed the border illegally to work in Mexico but that is another story) but the locals were very hard workers and not just the old timers, the kids were hard at it too. Immigrants come here for work and we assimilate their kids into our culture of laziness...

I TOTALLY agree with your assessment of day laborers, I was one and I remember those I worked with (95% worthless).

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The old school Mexicans came here to work and make money for their families and thats exactly what they did. The following generations have let the American culture rub off on 'em. (I wish it were the other way around)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unfortunately, our American way of life has rubbed off way too much even on people who have never been here. I remember living in Ireland, how litigious a society it was becoming, largely based (from the locals' assessment) on watching the success of America's "lottery of the courts".

Latest posts

Top Bottom