Three Men Arrested After Buying Gun At Gun Show In OKC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every gun show I have been to has had multiple uniformed officers present. We are already paying for their time to be there. Why not have them run the background checks for no charge for the private sales?

oldkar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are worried about selling to a buyer , sooner state pawn will sell a gun for you on consignment. they do the paperwork and you dont have to screw aroung meeting with prospective buyers.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More food for thought, how can background checks work when we can't control identity theft and illegals with false docs?

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More food for thought, how can background checks work when we can't control identity theft and illegals with false docs?

A solution doesn't have to be 100% effective to be pretty damn effective. If we are truly interested in being responsible gun owners, shouldn't we support laws that prevent a large number of guns from getting in the wrong hands? I'm thinking that I'd rather have this discussion than to be losing the ability to own Saigas, Sub2000s, or ARs... and if you accept SDA cards as proof that you're good to go, then there's a few benefits to that. Most of us will never have to do a NICS check again, which makes our transactions faster for the FFLs, and removes the competitive advantage that private sellers enjoy over FFLs at gun shows... it's also an incentive for more lawful gun owners to apply for and obtain their SDA card, which not only makes our numbers higher for lobbying purposes, but the State gets more revenue from license fees. I see several benefits here, and minimal drawbacks, the more I think about this... but $50 is stupid high for a transfer, IMO.

I'm not advocating banning private sales. Just require NICS on gun show private sales. Also if WE initiated this idea, could it not remove the wind out of the sails of the antis? Really just exploring this idea... any good reason not to do this?

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are worried about selling to a buyer , sooner state pawn will sell a gun for you on consignment. they do the paperwork and you dont have to screw aroung meeting with prospective buyers.

Being worried about selling to a buyer is not the point. Many on this board are careful to only sell to people they are pretty sure about. However, it is evident that some sellers at gun shows will sell to anyone with $$$. I'd like to not see articles like this about felons successfully buying at a show. It makes all of us look bad.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They'll just start breaking into cars and homes to get them. It's already illegal for them to have a gun. If they want one they'll get one. Don't make it harder for me because you think it'll be harder for them to break laws that are already in place. It's like trying to stop people from speeding by making the highways really rough. It's a joke and a waste of time and money.

The drugs they got convicted for are subject to an outright ban. They obtained them anyway through the street corner loophole. Without a background check.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why did the police notice these guys at a gun show, what made them stand out? Something had to trigger further investigation.
Now dont take this wrong, I am glad the guys got caught, they were breaking the law, but what triggered the suspicion?

Are the police at gun shows running plates on cars to see who shows up?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A solution doesn't have to be 100% effective to be pretty damn effective. If we are truly interested in being responsible gun owners, shouldn't we support laws that prevent a large number of guns from getting in the wrong hands? I'm thinking that I'd rather have this discussion than to be losing the ability to own Saigas, Sub2000s, or ARs... and if you accept SDA cards as proof that you're good to go, then there's a few benefits to that. Most of us will never have to do a NICS check again, which makes our transactions faster for the FFLs, and removes the competitive advantage that private sellers enjoy over FFLs at gun shows... it's also an incentive for more lawful gun owners to apply for and obtain their SDA card, which not only makes our numbers higher for lobbying purposes, but the State gets more revenue from license fees. I see several benefits here, and minimal drawbacks, the more I think about this... but $50 is stupid high for a transfer, IMO.

I'm not advocating banning private sales. Just require NICS on gun show private sales. Also if WE initiated this idea, could it not remove the wind out of the sails of the antis? Really just exploring this idea... any good reason not to do this?

They'll just start breaking into cars and homes to get them. It's already illegal for them to have a gun. If they want one they'll get one. Don't make it harder for me because you think it'll be harder for them to break laws that are already in place. It's like trying to stop people from speeding by making the highways really rough. It's a joke and a waste of time and money.

Both of these opinions could be accommodated by making the NICS available to any body selling a firearm without making the process mandatory. Sellers who want to cover their A's will use it but it would not be a burden to those who choose not to.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. It would cost more money, delays would increase, and nothing would change. Laws don't limit access of criminals to anything. If a guy wants to cover his ass he will sell to someone he knows. You can be put to death for murder. Still doesn't stop it.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I can check background a little on this computer. If you know someone's name you can get on odcr.com or oscn.net and check county records for current and pending cases and do an offender search @ ok dept. of corrections web site. I am sure it ain't 100% but you can get info on someone's record.

The only denial I have had as an FFL01 was a guy that his problems happened in Kalifornia. Searching the ok DOC records would not have helped in that case at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom