Tips for smoking ribs on a gas grill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a rack of pork ribs that I want to do an experiment with. I no longer have a smoker, but would like to obtain the smokiest ribs I can get on a gas grill. I've read up on creating aluminum foil pouches of wood chips and chunks placed in the flame of one of the burners while the ribs are over the dead burner (2-burner grill), which will be the foundation I start with here. Using my left burner (which seems to be slightly weaker than the right burner) with 2-3 wood pouches either directly in the flame or on the lower rack right above the flame, with the ribs on the top rack.

So, working with the equipment I have (or don't have, rather), what would you recommend? Do you think I'm off to a good start? What type of wood should I use? I'm thinking I'll be doing a dry rub, so toss out some of your dry rub recipes. How long should these cook? Any sort of aluminum foil heat/smoke channeling system I should create? Any other tips (besides buying a smoker)? This is a $10 rack of ribs that the wife picked up after coupons for $4, so if they turn out to be a complete failure then no big deal.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would prepare the ribs, add your favorite rub, wrap them in foil and put them in the oven at 200-225 degrees until they reach your desired temp, then slather them with sauce and finish them on the grill.

Then go buy a Cook Shack... :)

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, smoke pouches work fairly well. Something I like to do with my wood (WHAT? what's so funny? Oh, real mature guys) is soak it in a mix of maple syrup and rootbeer. Just a suggestion.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rub ribs with liquid smoke then the rub of your choice. Assemble your smoke packets and add one at a time to the hot part of the burner. Try to get as much smoke as possible over a long period of time. If your grill has a built in thermometer try to maintain temp of no more than 250 for 2 - 3 hours. Wrap ribs in foil loosely and add a cup or 2 of apple juice. put back on the grill for another hour or so. With luck and correct temps you should be good to go!
Good luck!!

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
Rub ribs with liquid smoke

HERETIC!!!

Low temp, indirect heat is the key.
When I do ribs or brisket that will be on for a long time I will put the smoke to it for about 1/2 to 2/3 of the expected cooking time then wrap in foil to finish. I also put a pan of water in and keep it topped up to keep the humidity up to help keep the meat from drying out.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always make a tent with open ends on both sides at the top for my ribs and then let them sit in a mixture of beer and spices at the bottom. Have to be careful not to puncture or make your tent with a foil pan for the base.

This will have the effect of letting the juices heat up, condensate at the top of the tent and then drip back down to the ribs.

Keep both ends open at the top to allow some pressure to bleed off and to allow the smoke to get inside.

Low and slow and they'll fall off the bones.

I've never tried poaching them for a little while ahead of time in spiced up water, but I've heard that it helps to get the flavor locked inside too?? I might give it a shot next time.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rub ribs with liquid smoke then the rub of your choice. Assemble your smoke packets and add one at a time to the hot part of the burner. Try to get as much smoke as possible over a long period of time. If your grill has a built in thermometer try to maintain temp of no more than 250 for 2 - 3 hours. Wrap ribs in foil loosely and add a cup or 2 of apple juice. put back on the grill for another hour or so. With luck and correct temps you should be good to go!
Good luck!!

String him up!!!

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since we have stooped to using liquid smoke and tin foil. Use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours in whatever kind of smoke you prefer, 2 hours wrapped in foil and 1 hour direct on the grill. Don't put anything sugary on till the last hour. If your temps are too high the ribs will be falling off the bone before it is time for the last hour.

Latest posts

Top Bottom