Tips for smoking ribs on a gas grill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a buddy who does ribs on the grill, he boils them first, till they are done, and then puts BBQ sauce on them and puts them on the grill to blacken them up a bit. They turn out real tender and not half bad.

All that being said, when I do ribs it is on the smoker, with a mix of hickory and maple. I lather them up with a mustard and BBQ sauce mix along with lots of seasonings to give them a nice caramelized bark.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr. Tanner, please go to the grocery store and buy a cheap oven thermometer and some foil mini loaf pans. Use it to maintain your temp at 230 in the gas grill and use the loaf pans for wood chips. Next go to Academy and buy a small bag of mesquite chips. Come home, use whatever dry rub you want on the ribs, preheat your grill and get it to maintain 230. Put wood chips in mini loaf pan, dry, don't soak. Put loaf pan over flame, put ribs on cold side. When the ribs sweat "honey" they are done. Coat in your fav bbq sauce and carmelize the sauce on the grill. Enjoy.

On second thought, you might should soak your wood chips in water so that they won't catch fire in the tinfoil pan. That small fire will throw your temp off way too much.

Last edited:

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alton Brown's show, "Good Eats", on Food Network recently had a scene exactly about this situation of smoking on a gas grill. His grill was a three-burner Weber but the ideas are the same: foil pouch of chips on the live burner, pan of water below the ribs on the inactive burner(s), ribs with appropriate rub arranged in a vertical rack over the water pan, 225 degrees is the target temp for low/slow, use an accurate digital thermometer, time will vary but 4-6 hours should be expected, place a foil guard between the ribs and the heat source to ensure indirect heat.

Finally, no sauce is required for a proper rub with good smoke on a low/slow heat.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only use liquid smoke to make hickory smoked salt.

You guys are making me hungry and this is my own food thread. I have a 2-burner grill. Should I foil off a lot of the bottom rack in order to channel the heat better while placing the ribs on the top rack or should I just use the bottom rack for everything?

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only use liquid smoke to make hickory smoked salt.

You guys are making me hungry and this is my own food thread. I have a 2-burner grill. Should I foil off a lot of the bottom rack in order to channel the heat better while placing the ribs on the top rack or should I just use the bottom rack for everything?

Just make sure the ribs are not being directly hit by the heat. Think of it as a very smoky oven, not a grill. If the ribs are better protected from the heat on the top rack, then by all means use it. Like you said you only spent 4 bucks.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ribs are smoking now, the grill has 3 mesquite wood smoke bombs above the right-side burner and there's a foil roasting pan of water covering the rest of the lower grill with the rack up top.

I made a dry rub consisting of:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup of paprika
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp habanero powder
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp salt

I didn't make a mop sauce yet and I'm not sure if I have the ingredients to do so, but I'll end the cooking with a coating or two of Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar bbq sauce.

I also have pics, but they're just still on my phone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom