To all who are, or have ever been away on the holidays in uniform.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thank you for sacrifiing some of your family time so I can enjoy mine. I can't imagine how hard that must be.

Every year I try to spend some time alone, and think of those like my great Uncle who spent Christmas 1944 in Bastogne. Helps keep things in proper perspective.

So, to every Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine who spent time away from their family while I was at home enjoying mine, here's a heartfelt THANKS! It isn't enough, and never will be, but I promise you tears of thankfulness flow each year as I ponder how good I have it thanks to the sacrifices of better men than myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGyEtog_w_Y

fluffernutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did my 4 years of sailing the world... I know the feeling. but hopefully most people get to make it "home for christmas..."
alh6.ggpht.com__wkgIzuqJM0w_TRNKrjnUWNI_AAAAAAAAH0c_420b_NHguhE_s800_pa43.jpg

Gunrunner45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Christmas 1984 RTC Great Lakes IL

Christmas 1987, Naples Italy aboard the USS Coral Sea.

Christmas 1988, PCS orders to NAS Millington TN. Movers arrived Dec 24th and packed up our stuff, we spent Christmas in a hotel but at least I was with my family!

OH What fun!

Waltherfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also had a great uncle at Bastogne. He was with the 101st Airborne. He died a couple years ago. I did get a chance to talk with him some about the war. He also in Italy and was in the southern invasion of France (not Normandy).

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I was in 12 years.
2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th and 10th wedding anniversary at sea.
Only 2 Christmases while deployed and 3 Thanksgivings, 1 was just NATO ops, we got to pull into Halifax for Thanksgiving.
Went to McDonald's in Toulon France Thanksgiving of '89, Had a BigMac au Fromage with a side order of Pom Frits.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanksgiving and Christmas of 1974 spent in Thailand with the USAF.

Thank you to all those who now serve and have served to keep this country great and free. May you and your families be safe and comforted this holiday season.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a supply truck showing up with diesel scented and squished plates of turkey, stuffing, green beans and taters soaked in and frozen to paper plates... on the night of the 26th.

[email protected]

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
christmas 1987 (when there was a-) West Germany, christmas 1995 South Korea, plus countless others stateside

that's just a small pittance compared to what troops go through now, it's gotta be hard

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Christmas and Thanksgiving in 2003 I spent with my "other family" in Kuwait, and I actually enjoyed it as much as some I've spent in the states. To any and all that are doing it now, good luck and godspeed, and THANK YOU for the sacrifices I know you are making.

Latest posts

Top Bottom