to chemo or not to chemo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a study done about people with only around 6 months left. Those that decided to not take chemo and have better end of life lived 25% longer. It all depends on what stage your at. If it was me, if it gave me a fighting chance to survive I would take it. If it was just to prolong, I would decide not to and enjoy as much time as I had left.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the sound of this. Why isnt it being used more often?
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/276966.php

Here is an interesting article, they've been messing with the effects of viruses on cancer for a while. They are looking at Measles, Polio, and Herpes Simplex specifically.

But these aren't just go out and give someone a huge dose of run of the mill Measles virus, it's genetically modified to infect the mutated cells and leave the healthy cells alone. Polio is being used for brain cancer again highly engineered to attack just abnormal growth cells not healthy brain tissue.

http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/002048-pdf.pdf

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The prognosis is good, I see my Dr. on the 4th to see what the next step is going to be. It'll probably surgery to remove what is left of the mass. I had a mass about 7-8 mm long under my jaw line back to below my ear on the side of my neck, so all my radiation was to the face and neck area. The mass is basically gone now. I have lost 70lbs since June 12. I had my tonsils removed on June 12th and some teeth removed and had acute pancreatic and than started chemo and radiation. So I have been loosing the weight for some time. I was told that all my side effects where temporary and I everything would return to normal 4 weeks to 6 months after treatment ends. I must say that 90% of going through treatment is to have a good support group behind you and have a positive mental outlook on the situation.

Side effects of radiation - loss of taste, loss of saliva (dry mouth), loss of voice, fatigue, radiation burns to neck, nausea, hair loss in the back of head where I received the radiation, sore throat to the point where I can't eat food.

Side effects of chemo (drug was Cisplatin) - loss of weight, ears ringing, vomiting, fatigue, problems pissing (just feels like I need push harder to empty bladder, not sure if it's a kidney issue). tingling in fingers and feels like my skin is crawling, fatigue.

I'm sure there are more I just can't recall them at this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisplatin#Side_effects

I have that skin crawling and tingling all the time, from my shoulders down my right arm and all over my head, neck and face. GC can tell you there are times when it is so irritating to me that the slightest little thing will set me off ... Today has been one of those days, I'm sure because of the weather changes coming ...

Still, my problems are minor compared to what you and Goathead are dealing with. My prayers to you also.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it will likely save my life or give me a fighting chance..... yes
If it will only prolong my life by 6 months...... no.

This! I have two friends that have been fighting cancer on and of for a few years. For both of them, every time something new pops up chemo makes their life suck for a few months but they've made it through to a new health. Twenty plus years ago I lost four family members and two friends to cancer. They didn't have a chance, I guess, and all chemo did was trash their quality of life for months and months...and then they died. But, as I said that was twenty years ago and medical technology has come a long way. Hurray!

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cancer is hundreds, if not a thousand diseases. There are well more than a hundred specific chemotherapeutic medications and since many are used in various combinations, there's possibly a thousand various combinations used over the years.

I'd encourage all here to not make hasty decisions about a type of cancer treatment, even if you have a close friend or family member that had a bad outcome in the past. The field of Oncology is evolving so damn fast that even Oncologists, Radiation Oncologists and Oncologic Surgeons have to hustle to keep up with the changes and best practice. Genetic cancer risk factor testing has taken off and we can all expect to see broad test panels as part of routine physical exams within the next decade. Early ID= earlier treatment= better chances of a cure. Compared to even 10 years ago, there's more and more success stories each year.

Do your own homework, learn as much as your brain can absorb about NCCN guidelines http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp , meet with several Oncologists and Surgeons, become an expert about your insurance and other possible support/ benefits.

To quote my wife, who's just about to finish chemotherapy for breast cancer- "Cancer treatment is a **** pie. But it's only one slice, so choke it down and get on with your life.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found out 2-3 weeks ago I have leukemia AML and I start chemo tomorrow, we are at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN now. I hope the chemo does well or I will face a stem cell transplant. I hope I can be well enough to hunt the Salt Plains on December 1-3.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Cancer is hundreds, if not a thousand diseases. There are well more than a hundred specific chemotherapeutic medications and since many are used in various combinations, there's possibly a thousand various combinations used over the years.

I'd encourage all here to not make hasty decisions about a type of cancer treatment, even if you have a close friend or family member that had a bad outcome in the past. The field of Oncology is evolving so damn fast that even Oncologists, Radiation Oncologists and Oncologic Surgeons have to hustle to keep up with the changes and best practice. Genetic cancer risk factor testing has taken off and we can all expect to see broad test panels as part of routine physical exams within the next decade. Early ID= earlier treatment= better chances of a cure. Compared to even 10 years ago, there's more and more success stories each year.

Do your own homework, learn as much as your brain can absorb about NCCN guidelines http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp , meet with several Oncologists and Surgeons, become an expert about your insurance and other possible support/ benefits.

To quote my wife, who's just about to finish chemotherapy for breast cancer- "Cancer treatment is a **** pie. But it's only one slice, so choke it down and get on with your life.

Well said and hope for continued healing for your wife. My wife makes makes chemo concoctions everyday, some are rough, some not so much, some side effects can be helped with other meds, and some are just hell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom