Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats Dennis. That is the absolutely worst fishing report I have ever read.

Hey guys I awoke at 5:22 am this morning to go fishing...
THE END. C'mon.

Just ribbing you. Seriously congrats.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a recent retired guy, I'm going to offer some advice that may help you in the future. I got this advice 15 years ago, and actually followed it. I'll be comfortable in my future life because of it.

#1. make sure you have enough credits to qualify for Social Security, no matter what this forum thinks of it.

#2. Visit every financial advisor in your area, and schedule a meeting with them in your 30's or 40's. 50's isn't too late. Look at their plans, mark them and watch their performance over ten or so years. If they offer to customize the way your 401K is allocated, try it. This is what they do for a living and its worth following their advice.

#3. I know its hard, but I had a goal when in my 20's to be debt free when reaching 55. It happened.
Make a goal, and make everything in your life focus on your goal.

Retirement is not the day you stopped working. Its the day you started the first day of the rest of your life. Make of it what you may.

#4. Make sure you have a hobby, etc to keep yourself busy. My dad died two years after he retired to the couch in front of the TV.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congratulations, Dennis! Retirement for me is merely a dream at this point.

This would have been my story, also, if I hadn't met my darling husband. Gotta give props where props are due ... Congrats, dennis!! It's a wonderful life ... :) And in 20 more months, GC will join us! :woot: Although, for the life of me I'll never understand why the man thinks he wants to work when he retires ... :scratch: :scratch: Good to have a plan, though, and if that's what he wants to do, well, more power to him! :heart:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This would have been my story, also, if I hadn't met my darling husband. Gotta give props where props are due ... Congrats, dennis!! It's a wonderful life ... :) And in 20 more months, GC will join us! :woot: Although, for the life of me I'll never understand why the man thinks he wants to work when he retires ... :scratch: :scratch: Good to have a plan, though, and if that's what he wants to do, well, more power to him! :heart:

Thank you.

I'll never quit working per say, but will work when I want to, and not when an employer
want me to. That is the difference.

If GC is like me we will work to make gun/ammo money, and some fun times for vacation.

I know your looking forward to having him fulltime in the house, and I'm looking forward to my wife being able to retire as well.
I want to enjoy the free time with her, and experience life without the restrictions of getting up in the morning and going to work.

Its a great feeling to be free. :D

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good job. I retire in 5 years and three weeks, when I turn 60. I paid off the car, the truck, the house years ago. Zero balance on the credit card. Never had a good paying job, but I managed my finances and always tried to pay cash for everything when I could.

Latest posts

Top Bottom