Took a Stolen Gun on Trade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a number of firearms stolen in a home burglary a number of years ago. They were recovered and seized as evidence. It then took a court order to get them back.

I've always did the Bill of Sale and a receipt for any money that changes hands when selling or buying.

Rustytweezers

Wall building Ammunition hoarding Gun packing Okie
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put it up for sale on armslist. I provided pics to a guy that requested them. Then the police contacted me.
Same stuff different place happened to me auction house at 31st& Garnett Brandon’s auction house auctioned me a 6k stolen ring had cuffs and guns drawn on the wife and I. P/s the cop lady was Officer Adcock the one who leaked evidence in the Bever case. Steer clear of this place very scheming people working there. They also place people in the crowd that bid on their own items!

Last edited:

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. If I have no prior knowledge of the item being stolen and I purchased it completely legally, whats the issue with me keeping it?

I would prefer to sell it back to the state or original owner if they want to pay a fair price. Now, as an individual, you could choose to just give it away but as far as I’m concerned, I bought it with no ill intent.

Imagine you spend $1000 on a gun, own it without issue for however long it is until you decide to sell it. Because a cop happens to be the one to try to buy it, you have no choice but to hand it over.

Should I go through all my firearms and have them checked to see the status of them according to the state and see if I need to give some away?

Do you think that’s fair? I’m open to hearing why I’m wrong here.
It happened to a friend of mine. Stolen gun, he is out out of $1000. You never know its hot unless it was bought from a FFL dealer. Worst part is if you try to sell it or trade it later then you are in deep chit when it is hot. He took it to a gunsmith to have a scope mounted and when it was checked in by the FFL it came back as stolen two days later.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good wisdom from all. I havn’t taken the bill of sale route. Normally, I record the person’s make/model of car, tag number, phone number and name. I also ask for a DL just to ensure OK resident. In this case I failed to record his name. But I did capture the other things and passed that along to the Det. Fast fwd to today, I have attempted to contact the guy that I traded with via phone call and text, he has not answered/replied. I believe I will be completing a police report on it just in case it ends up somewhere. I was hesitant on doing it just in case the gentleman was a victim too. But after the negative contact attempts I am just going to do it.
Bill of sale is extra caution.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had me confused also dont know how a FFL found out it was stolen unless the ATF came in and checked the books cause they dont have access to check anymore than a average citizen does to my knowledge but it may depend on the state, knowing some states require that all guns have to be registered thru the local LE.

Latest posts

Top Bottom