Tool Recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Utility roofing blade. Used these many times. Cut back side up. Carpet eats blades, so get more than one.
upload_2021-2-8_22-24-23.png
upload_2021-2-8_22-24-23.png

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
They make carpet blades that look like big gut hooks. Attach to pole, condescendingly tell the old lady how it's beyond her talent to use such a tool, sit back and let her prove you wrong.
I always use a linoleum knife and a set of linemen's pliers for grabbing the carpet to pull it from the tack strip.

31vSO%2Byi5bL._AC_.jpg

mobileimages.lowes.com__product_converted_783250_783250304301.474bc3c57e8e460f306d502b8ec77691.jpg

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive always had good luck just popping the baseboard off and pulling the carpet up. But just grab an old hunting knife with a gut hook.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They make carpet blades that look like big gut hooks. Attach to pole, condescendingly tell the old lady how it's beyond her talent to use such a tool, sit back and let her prove you wrong.

I ain’t got an old lady, just me and the dogs.

Utility roofing blade. Used these many times. Cut back side up. Carpet eats blades, so get more than one.View attachment 192475 .
View attachment 192475

I tried those. They were a waste of money.
I always use a linoleum knife and a set of linemen's pliers for grabbing the carpet to pull it from the tack strip.

31vSO%2Byi5bL._AC_.jpg

mobileimages.lowes.com__product_converted_783250_783250304301.474bc3c57e8e460f306d502b8ec77691.jpg

I tried the linoleum knife. I’m looking for an easier solution.

Ive always had good luck just popping the baseboard off and pulling the carpet up. But just grab an old hunting knife with a gut hook.

I tried that too. Too rough on my shoulder and my aching back.

All good suggestions, but I’m trying to make this as easy on me as possible trying not to aggravate old injuries. I think I’ll try the harbor freight cutter and see how that works. I have my doubts because most of their stuff is cheap stuff from China.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get it. Times are different for sure. Like you I mowed lawns and cleaned up trash, swept whatever I could do to make a buck. I was also expected to buy my own equipment and supplies. I also learned to not spend like crazy since I learned how hard money was to get. I think that ethic was pre-installed in me from birth.

Side story... When I was like maybe 15 my older brother needed some money and asked to borrow it. He knew I had it because I always was hustling. I made him give me a 57 topps Willy Mays baseball card as collateral. I still have the card decades later. sometimes he would ask about it but never seems to want to hand over the money he owes. I need to send it to PSA and add it to his bill =)

When I was in the seventh grade my parents divorced and my mother and I hit hard times. Dad was an abusive alcoholic and we had to take care of ourselves. We moved into a small rent house and the landlady let me use her lawnmower to earn some money as long as I paid for gas and oil. I pushed that mower for miles and miles.

I remember one old lady who lived alone that would always haggle. She was a hoot. She had a small fenced yard and the prices would bounce between fifty cents and two dollars.

Latest posts

Top Bottom