I like tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmpf, amateurs.

IMG_3594.JPG

IMG_3597.JPG

IMG_3599.JPG

IMG_3600.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

IMG_3602.JPG

IMG_3603.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep... I've been known to buy tools just because they look cool. Like a 165 pound anvil. I have no use for it, but damn it looks cool in the shop.
I have a Feaster Farriers anvil in the shop I found on the side of the road near the Conoco refinery in Ponca. Couldn't believe my eyes when driving by. Did a bat turn on Highway 60, illegally of course, then another after driving by it, and stopped. Hoisted that 75 lb anvil into the back of the truck and off I went. Called the Sheriff's office to report it as found. Two years later nobody has claimed it so I guess it's mine now. Built one heck of a stand for it using a 10" pipe flange as a base, then welding 2.5' of 10" pipe as a riser, then an angle iron frame for the base. It's solid yet movable. Amazing how handy they are.
Now for the OP's story.
I'm a tool hound as well. More hand tools than electric or battery but have my share of them. Dewalt, Milwaukie, and a host of others. Only one Baur Harbor freight though. Saw a buddy use one of those little compact blowers from Harbor Freight. Advertises 200mph wind speed.
Perfect for the RV. At $52 it looked like a bargain but then the battery charger and pack had to be bought that made it not so much of a bargain.
As was stated in an earlier post, Amazon sells adapters so other manufacturers batteries can be used on the Baur. $30 later an adapter arrived that used the Dewalt batteries on the blower and it's been in use for a year now. Great for the shop and roof/slides of the RV, not so much blowing leaves around the yard. It can't produce the CFM the bigger blowers can, but it's great for what it's designed for.
In my 40 years of working industrial Maintenance, I had to supply my own hand and power tools, but I needed tools at home too. The company let us keep a $100 tool bill on the books that they deducted from the paycheck every payday, so when needing a drill motor or whatever, I ordered two. One for work and one for home.
When spending the last 15 years at the power plant, they said they supplied all the tools, so now I have duplicates of everything. All top of the line Proto Professional and Snap-on.
Had to buy corded drill motors and tools like that back in those days, but the battery options are replacing the corded models when they get worn out.
Edit: I don't use it often, but when I do, it's one heck of a game changer for a favorite tool. Milwaukee portable band saw that's corded.
Found a pic of the anvil.
MWJBE4354.JPG

Last edited:

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like others here I have a lot of different kinds of tools from roll around tool boxes, table saws, aircraft engine leak detectors, pipe benders, etc. I live out in the country, so naturally chain saws and log splitters. For me, one of the handiest little items is a very small one hand held bat powered 6 in blade chain saw. Ideal for little tree sprouts off the sides that are going to grow to be in my way, thicker thorny vines, little fallen limbs just a little large for my outdoor fire ring, etc. Had no idea I would use it as much as I have.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Feaster Farriers anvil in the shop I found on the side of the road near the Conoco refinery in Ponca. Couldn't believe my eyes when driving by. Did a bat turn on Highway 60, illegally of course, then another after driving by it, and stopped. Hoisted that 75 lb anvil into the back of the truck and off I went. Called the Sheriff's office to report it as found. Two years later nobody has claimed it so I guess it's mine now. Built one heck of a stand for it using a 10" pipe flange as a base, then welding 2.5' of 10" pipe as a riser, then an angle iron frame for the base. It's solid yet movable. Amazing how handy they are.
Now for the OP's story.
I'm a tool hound as well. More hand tools than electric or battery but have my share of them. Dewalt, Milwaukie, and a host of others. Only one Baur Harbor freight though. Saw a buddy use one of those little compact blowers from Harbor Freight. Advertises 200mph wind speed.
Perfect for the RV. At $52 it looked like a bargain but then the battery charger and pack had to be bought that made it not so much of a bargain.
As was stated in an earlier post, Amazon sells adapters so other manufacturers batteries can be used on the Baur. $30 later an adapter arrived that used the Dewalt batteries on the blower and it's been in use for a year now. Great for the shop and roof/slides of the RV, not so much blowing leaves around the yard. It can't produce the CFM the bigger blowers can, but it's great for what it's designed for.
In my 40 years of working industrial Maintenance, I had to supply my own hand and power tools, but I needed tools at home too. The company let us keep a $100 tool bill on the books that they deducted from the paycheck every payday, so when needing a drill motor or whatever, I ordered two. One for work and one for home.
When spending the last 15 years at the power plant, they said they supplied all the tools, so now I have duplicates of everything. All top of the line Proto Professional and Snap-on.
Had to buy corded drill motors and tools like that back in those days, but the battery options are replacing the corded models when they get worn out.
Edit: I don't use it often, but when I do, it's one heck of a game changer for a favorite tool. Milwaukee portable band saw that's corded.
Found a pic of the anvil.View attachment 464648

Here’s my 70# one I bought off a co worker. It’s stamped ‘Sweeden’. Not as fancy a mount but it works and I actually use quite frequently

IMG_4839.jpeg

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now for the OP's story.
Found a pic of the anvil.View attachment 464648
That looks just like the one I lost next to the refinery.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like tools too. I have so many now that my garage is way too small for them with four cars in it. My big items are a lathe, a mill, bottles and torch,12" band saw, drill press, small steel welding table, 54" Matco toolbox, 5' steel work bench, a buffer, a grinder, a carbide grinder, a mig welder, a tig/ stick welder, tool cart, 80 gal two stage air compressor, tabletop bead blaster, parts vat, small roll-a-round toolbox, 2 ton engine hoist, a motor stand with my Jaguar motor on it, a 12 press. So, everything has to be in its place to have room to get around. There is a 4' metal brake on Facebook for $250 that I would buy if I had room for it. I have three tool bags for three of our seven cars and trucks, a set of tools in my reloading room, and a tool bag in the kitchen. I need a shop building.

Latest posts

Top Bottom