TPD Markings on my model 681.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My M681 looks to be a Tulsa cop gun. The frame is marked "TPD 511" below the cylinder. Anyone know what the 511 might mean? Also, I read somewhere that Smith and Wesson did a little extra work on the triggers of guns that we're going out to law enforcement. Has anyone else heard of this? I have to admit that my 681 does have the best trigger of all my Smith revolvers.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a guess, but it might be the officer's badge number. In the early 1950's New York City Police stamped the patrolman's shield number on the backstrap. I have an old NYPD Colt Official Police that had this done to it. This particular revolver left Hartford in 1954 and was purchased by a probationary patrolman in January 1955.

I wish that old Colt could talk!!

Keeifer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were just a sequence number. Mine is stamped TPD 955. When TPD swithched over to the 4046 in the early 90's, I bought mine back for the sum of $ 139.00.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I consider the 681 to be one of the best revolvers ever made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I'll certainly go along with that statement. Like I believe that I said in another thread, if I had to get rid of all of my handguns but one, I'd choose my 681.

Latest posts

Top Bottom