Trail Cam Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the subject of cell camera service cost, I got the 5th camera added to my plan yesterday and was looking at what my bill is going to be when the plan renews in September, and the total bill for 5 cameras will be $439.99 which breaks down to $88/year or $7.33/month per camera.
Before switching to external batteries and solar panels, I was spending more per month on AA lithium batteries to keep the cameras running than what the service costs.
I just paid my Tacticam Reveal bill today for two cameras. It's auto renew, and think it was $170?
That is just two or three trips to the farm to pull SD cards. I've saved thousands by going cellular.
Edit: $217 was the bill.

Last edited:

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got quite a few more bucks on the cameras so far this year than past years. Hopefully they'll age, grow old and die on the property(during season of course). This guy has a pretty good gut started already!
Early buck.jpg

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve saved a ton of money by getting a $10 battery checker. At first whenever a camera lost power I chunked and replaced all the batteries. Come to find out with the checker it may be only 1 or 2 of the 6 or 8 batteries is actually bad.
I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing the idea.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve saved a ton of money by getting a $10 battery checker. At first whenever a camera lost power I chunked and replaced all the batteries. Come to find out with the checker it may be only 1 or 2 of the 6 or 8 batteries is actually bad.
I’ve used a battery checker for a lot of years and used to do what you’re doing, but I discovered that though only two or three were “bad” the others weren’t far behind. If I was able to service my cameras on a more regular basis, I would’ve probably continued to do what you’re doing, but I was regularly having cameras crap out a couple days after I head home and not take pictures until I came back up in 3-4 weeks. This time of the year that’s not a big deal, but it would cause my stress level to go through the roof in the fall. I like to/need to know what’s going on.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing the idea.
Gardner Bender GBT-3502 Household Analog Battery Tester, Extendable Arm, Easy Read Indicator, Tests: AA / AAA / C / D 9V / 1.5 V Button Cell / N Batteries, (Replaces GBT-502A) Red https://a.co/d/f3MwpYM

This the checker I use. It’s cheap small and seems accurate

Latest posts

Top Bottom