Trail Cam Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a guess, I’m no expert by any means but 41/2-5.
I agree with this assessment. I have a harder time aging bucks this time of the year, because most look like does with horns. The buck I killed last year looked like a 3 year old all summer, and I’d about decided to give him another year or two. When he filled out in September, it was obvious he was mature, and he ended up being 6. :anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This guy has a pretty big body. Any ideas how old he may be?

View attachment 383773
I'm going to say 3.5 to four. The back is still pretty straight. When they get a couple years older, the back gets a dip and the belly is more pronounced. It will be a mature buck this coming season though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, he has some belly showing maturity and not going downhill yet. Best way to know age is to tooth him,
I think there are now studies out there that say judging by tooth is not totally accurate. Deer that feed in sandy areas have more tooth wear than deer in areas not so sandy. There are other tooth factors involved though about secondary growth of the teeth that do signify actual age, so I guess aging by tooth has to be regional? I don't know for sure.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wildest thing I’ve caught on camera.
View attachment 383763
This one creeped me out so much I had to go find my old picture of one similar. It took a while but here it is. Both yours and mine looks painful. I think mine has some kind of worm in it and notice how thin she is in it. Nature can be cruel.
IMG_0767.jpeg

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My kinfolk still ain’t got all the holes in his fences patched.
View attachment 376977

This is why all of my cameras aren't out at the moment . . . cows win on my brothers place during the summer. But I might try to get some out since they'll be cutting hay at some point and will need to move them off (if they haven't already).

Latest posts

Top Bottom